Sign in to follow this  
Guest 744nut

Building SID/STAR

Guest 744nut

I like to build some SID/STAR.when I open 3 reference sources I see 3 kind of different LAT LON.I assume I need use the second one..but how do I convert than the other two syntaxes? The tutorial does not speak about it. Dafif: DIK DIEKIRCH N49:51:41 06:07:46example SID/STAR: FIX DIK LATLON N 49 51.683 E 6 7.783chart: DIK N4951.7 E00607.8 Some help is appreciatedTon

The SIDSTARS.txt format is N dd mm.mmm E ddd mm.mmm; to convert dd:mm:ss divide the ss by 60 and add to the mm. In your example, 49:51:49 becomes (49/60=0.8167, 51+0.8167=51.8167) 49 51.8167 which is not the same as the other two.I've tried other formats but they don't work. FS9 Map will accept variations but displays (hit cntl-Z) dd mm.mmmm; one become proficient at dividing by 60 or 3600.The chart example appears to be ddmm.m; the conversion is just format with a space, ie., ddmm.m = dd mm.m; N4951.7 becomes N 49 51.7US charts provide latlon in the dd mm.mm format, but the FAA reference document defines fixes in the dd:mm:ss.sss format. When I build SIDSTARS I use, in order of preference, latlon provided by chart first, radial/distance from a fix using the COLOCATED key word second (if appropriate), or if all else fails I look up the fix in the FAA LID document in the US (google FAA 7530 for the link).I hope I helped.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest 744nut

Dan,Thanks for this valuable answer, everything is clear now!regardsTon