Sign in to follow this  
Guest y_stassin2

Landing with the autothrottle

Guest y_stassin2

Hello there!!I bought the extraordinary pmdg747 and I m fully satisfied!!However I encounter a little problem while landing... :(I want to land with the autothrottle on, but the autopilot off(no autoland/ i want to control the airplane). So I perform the approach and at prox. 1000f AGL I push the A/P Disengage bar and fly the plane.At 50f the throttles are not automatically se t to idle and I hover over the rwy, and must therefore disarm the A/T, set the throttles manually to idle and by then I have flown all over the rwy!!:-rollWhat´s the secret!!!???I´m looking forward to ANY help...Thanks y_stassin2

Guest Andrew1981

>Hello there!!>>I bought the extraordinary pmdg747 and I m fully satisfied!!>>However I encounter a little problem while landing... :(>I want to land with the autothrottle on, but the autopilot>off(no autoland/ i want to control the airplane). So I perform>the approach and at prox. 1000f AGL I push the A/P Disengage>bar and fly the plane.>At 50f the throttles are not automatically se t to idle and I>hover over the rwy, and must therefore disarm the A/T, set the>throttles manually to idle and by then I have flown all over>the rwy!!:-roll>>What

Guest y_stassin2

I see.... :-dohThanks!!So in real life the pilot should either let the A/P to make the autoland or perform the landing completely by hand!?

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

You can also try to land the plane fully manual without AT. Thats more challenging and (to my mind) more fun ;)

Correct, though as stated, a manual landing is far more rewarding.For a good introduction to manual landings you can use the A/P to fly down the ILS to about 1,000 feet then disengage A/P, then as you get to about 500 feet disengage the A/T and it's all yours! As you get better, try disengaging autopilot at about 2,500 feet as you acquire the glideslope and fly the whole ILS.I've been progessively weaning myself off using the approach mode, TRC number 3 is so far the most useful guide to doing this!

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

"So in real life the pilot should either let the A/P to make the autoland or perform the landing completely by hand!?"This is correct for the 744... I belive the 737NG, however, does retard the throttle, even if the A/P is not engaged.On the 744, there is no throttle retard and no FD commands for flare unless the A/P is engaged for Autoland.Cheers.Q>

Boeing actually recommends that the AT should not be engaged while flying manually. Leave it ARMED.Paul

This is what I do for all aircraft............I fly the approach on the ILS with the A/T engaged. As I get to 500ft above the runway, I disengage the 'A/T'. Having left my manual throttle fully open, the A/T remembers the last speed setting. When 100ft above, I close the throttles manually which cuts the thrust and flare at 10ft as per normal.Hope this is of some help to you?Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/http://www.captainsim.com/user/dl/c130/c130_captain.gifhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest y_stassin2

Thanks to you all!! I'll try to land it entirely myself!!