Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ricardo Sevarant

A little constructive criticism on the type rating lesson series!

Guest Ricardo Sevarant

Ok, here I go biting the hand that feeds me (in regards to aviation knowledge) :)The lessons are wonderful and unparalled in the simming add-on world. PMDG's extensive documentation is well written, concise, lucid, and very effusive in expounding upon 747 procedure and systems managment. The type rating series are obviously written to be both informative and 'fun', guiding the reader without being too technologically intimidating.I feel however that there are too many exclamation points in the body of the lesson texts :) For example, "now you are ready to take off! Raise the landing gear! The landing gear is up now! Check your airspeed! Now you're climbing! Ok, now you are ready to engage the autopilot! Check your altimeter now!", well you get the picture :) The author of the lesson series is obviously very enthusiastic about this product! That is ok! I hope they continue to be this excited and not take a little humor here and there too seriously!

...For example, "now you are ready to take off! Raise the landing gear! The landing gear is up now! Check your airspeed! Now you're climbing! Ok, now you are ready to engage the autopilot! Check your altimeter now!"... I understand what you mean - but I have no problems with this way of describtion. It makes the text livelier and it's not as dry as a manual. I like it.

Guest Ricardo Sevarant

Yes, the lessons are great! :( Just having a little fun!

Rico,I feel your sentiment, I think. The fact is, some of us take on this a/c with a sense of professional demeanor, precision, and calculation. It becomes unnerving to read official documents with language that isn't, well, standard after having this mindset. This is evidenced by exclamation marks, spelling and syntax errors, etc. I recall posting on this forum as a newbie, after being very annoyed with the 300+ page manual that I printed at work (TSK TSK, tomas!) that was rife with speelliing errorz, and bads grammars. I was summarily chided for being so picky and for not signing my name, and told to just enjoy the plane for what it was and to quit complaining. Soon did I realize after the fact, that many here are also very sensitive to observation and have I guess lower expectations. I've so thus far, curbed my criticisms, lest it be constructive in nature.Now, of course, I am a little wiser, and respect the chaps at PMDG a great deal, and don't really care anymore that the manual isn't perfect; they are choosing their battles. I do believe Mr. Randazzo's intention was to provide an easier and clearly mapped official tutorial with the type courses. It covers the spectrum of users from the novice to the advanced which is a great service to all. So, despite the occasional cringe with errors here and there, I think that what these boys are doing is a fantastic service for a great price.Why rock the plane, right?Tomas