Sign in to follow this  
simpilot22

FMC Direct To Programming

After departure, I am directed by ATC to a vector in the direction of my plan and first waypoint. I am then issued clearance Direct To that waypoint. This waypoint appears first on the list of waypoints on the Legs page. Engaging LNAV at this point causes a roll towards the flightplan, rather than heading directly for the first waypoint.How do I program the FMC in the the 737 to proceed direct to the first waypoint without first seeking the flightplan between the airport and the waypoint?ThanksChip B.@-@

Thanks Jim,In this particular situation, the waypoint is already at the top. Same thing then?Chip B.@-@

Yes, just select the LSK next to it and then select it again, then press execute and engage LNAV.

Dave Paige

Guest dt1951

Chip, the reason to LSK the waypoint, even if it is the top line, is that the FMC will compute a course to intercept the course from your previous waypoint to the next. In this case, the previous point was the takeoff runway. When you are given a direct to instruction by ATC you might be several miles away from the takeoff runway. By not using the direct to function the FMC will compute an intercept course from the runway to your first waypoint. Direct to tells the FMC to compute the course from your current position to the selected waypoint. That is why to use direct to even for the first waypoint.