Sign in to follow this  
Guest XaRGoN

Why just 10 hours?

Hey,I checked the failures page for the first time,and decided to do a random failure once in a while,then I saw that it will only do in 10 hours.for example,If I'm flying long flights that take more than 10 hours??so every flight I will have a failure...is there any way to do that for example in 100 hours?Thanks,Erez

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I wondered the same when I had a look at the failure tab in the past... Would be a nice addition for any update in the future (NGX/QueenX :-cool ) to have the flown hours saved somewhere and then have a failure rate of 1/100 or even 1/500... Matthias

Let's assume it's implemented in code as a PROBABILITY (a fair assumption). Hence, ON AVERGE, over INFINITE TIME, you will get x failures per 10 hours.So, lets assume x is 1.This does NOT MEAN that over 10 hours, you will get exactly 1 failure. You may get 0 (LIKELY). You may get 1 (LIKELY). Or you may get 100 (VERY UNLIKELY, but POSSIBLE nonetheless).That said: If they were to allow a REAL number in the dialog (as opposed to an INTEGER), ANY probabilty of failure can be established. I have not tried this, so I'm not sure if they allow a REAL number or not in that dialog (but I doubt it).Sorry if all of this only makes sense to those of us with a mathematical background!! :)- Bill

A small bit of tedium: I believe they would only allow natural numbers (positive integers) in the dialogue box. If they allow real nubers, they'd only be positive real numbers.Okay, so I'm bored. Silly me.That's a good explanation and theory Bill!

It may be good but it has no relevance. The dialog field sets actual failures not probabilities, so if you put 1 you will have 1 failure in the next 10 hours. Hence I second the motion to change this in future upgrades. These values should conform more to the real world and be split in minor issues (1 in 500 hours?) an major issues (1 in 10000 hours?).

> It may be good but it has no relevance. The dialog field sets actual failures not probabilities, so if you put 1 you will have 1 failure in the next 10 hours.The same question came up a while ago, and IIRC, someone from PMDG answered that the failures are indeed modelled "stochastically"... i.e. if you set one failure in 10 hours, that's the "expected rate" of failures... but depending on chance, you may get more or less if you do a 10-hour flight.Martin