Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

V2 in MCP SPD window - for what?

When we insert V2 in the SPD window of the MCP for takeoff in the NG or 744, what does this do? Does it guide the Flight Director silently even with the SPD button not active on takeoff and climbout?Jonathan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Takeoff is a flight director only function of the TO/GA mode. V2 is the Command Speed set in the MCP speed window for takeoff. It is also the magenta airspeed cursor on the airspeed indicator. The MCP speed is already in speed mode in TO/GA mode. At lift-off, the FD pitch commands MCP speed to V2+20.Good luck,Floyd

Like Floyd said . . . in other words, it does nothing. That is other than position the speed bug on the speed tape. An FMC generated, continuously re-calculated V2 will drive the Flight Director. You can set the MCP to whatever you want. However it's very good form to leave the MCP

I'm currently enjoying a lovely wee (second) dram of my duty-free Laphroaig Quarter-Cask, if that would attract him out of the woodwork?Yay for the Scots, even if that were the only thing they had contributed to modern society I'd still love 'em. :-)