Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

anyone know what this means 2- questions 747 pmdg

It is good airmanship to take your cues from more than one source. The PMDG FD's are slower than the RW FD's by my observation (but not by too much). One of the tricks of using a FD is to "look thru" it. It really depends on just what the FD is commanding as to how accurate it will be. It can be cumbersome for gross deviations but if you follow it exactly it will maintain a condition well. That means that the cross hairs must be within the small box. As for the ILS or LOC approach I use the FD's and the ND on the smallest scale. Once on the LOC all you have to do is maintain the inbd ILS course on the TRK display at the top of the ND. If the trk is the same as the inbd crse then you must remain on track. There is no need to figure out what drift effect the wind is causing.As for deviating at the end of the ILS approach you will find that this is more likely due to ground effect becoming prevalent. This seems fairly accurately modelled possible a little on the agressive side.Make sure that the PFD and ND are enlarged to help making the display more readable and therefore the flying more accurate. CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall

>It is good airmanship to take your cues from more than one>source. The PMDG FD's are slower than the RW FD's by my>observation (but not by too much). One of the tricks of using>a FD is to "look thru" it. It really depends on just what the>FD is commanding as to how accurate it will be. It can be>cumbersome for gross deviations but if you follow it exactly>it will maintain a condition well. That means that the cross>hairs must be within the small box. >As for the ILS or LOC approach I use the FD's and the ND on>the smallest scale. Once on the LOC all you have to do is>maintain the inbd ILS course on the TRK display at the top of>the ND. If the trk is the same as the inbd crse then you must>remain on track. There is no need to figure out what drift>effect the wind is causing.>As for deviating at the end of the ILS approach you will find>that this is more likely due to ground effect becoming>prevalent. This seems fairly accurately modelled possible a>little on the agressive side.>Make sure that the PFD and ND are enlarged to help making the>display more readable and therefore the flying more accurate.>>Cheers>SteveThanks Steve. But I have one interesting thought. I noticed on certain occassions in FS when I come over the threshold, my PFD says I'm about 1.8 or close to 2 nautical miles from the runway. If I remember correcly, the localizer is placed at the other end of the runway. But the glide slope transimitter is placed about 1000 feet from the end of the landing runway. Is the distance given on the PFD reference to the glide slope transmitter placed at 1000 feet from landing runway threshold or is it referenced to the localizer placed at the other end of the runway?Ken.