Sign in to follow this  
Guest jzimmerman71

Found the FPS Problem!

Guest jzimmerman71

I've been having a very hard time with the 737NG panel giving me poor FPS (like 2-3). When I go to a spot view, the FPS goes up to the 20s and 30s. I have a dual-core processor and 2GB RAM. I can post detailed specs if needed.Now for the discovery...When I am in 2D mode and swap over to windows I can do a ctrl-alt-del and pull up the task manager. Under the performance tab, the CPU Usage History is split into two panes (presumably one for each path through the processor). One is completely maxed out while the other one hardly shows any activity. If I go back into the sim and select an exterior spot view, the frames pick up and the cooresponding pane in the CPU Usage History has dropped down to about 50%.It seems FS9 is using only one half of the CPU capability. Is there any way to correct this?Jeff Zimmerman

Jeff,I think this is the normal way for FS. I have a Hyper Threaded CPU and see the same thing but not the bad FPS. Gotta be something else.Hope it helps,

Guest jzimmerman71

Thanks, Mats. You're right. Reading through some other threads, I find that the non-uniform cpu usage is simply a mis-reporting thing in Windows.

Additionally Windows XP doesn't really take advantage of multi processor configs. Also an application must be specifically written to take advantage of a multi-core/mutli CPU configuration. Neither FS9 nor FSX have been written to do this. FYI: In most cases System Task Manager shows FS9 utilizing 100% of a single core CPU, so the indications you are seeing seem correct.Concerning your FPS problem, I don't believe you have found the cause. With a rig like yours, you should be getting much better performance. Sounds like something else is running in the background.

Yep just to echo what Mats and George said - it's perfectly normal to see FS9 only using one core, it's not a multithreaded app.As for your FPS problems, I really don't know man - I have a dual core CPU and get very very good FPS with the NG. Post your full specs...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com