Sign in to follow this  
Guest corrie

Basic steps to a ILS approach

Guest corrie

What is the basic steps to a ILS landing with the 737.RegardsJohan

Review the approach chart. Set both NAV radios to the localizer frequency and the MCP Course to the final approach course (note: FS9 will often vary 1-3 deg from charted course). Prior to intercepting final approach course, arm the A/P APPR button. The light on the button will go out when it captures the course. The status of LOC/GS and Flare will be indicated on the annunciator above the attitude indicator. Engage both CMD1 and CMD2 if you want the A/P to autoland.There're many ways to fly it, the most basic method is to slow to 210 before you are in position to intercept the localizer, and intercept localizer at least 3 nm outside final approach fix. Slow to 170 on localizer capture and deploy 5 flaps. Slow to 15 flap speed (having already preset approach speeds in the FMC init page) and drop the gear after flaps are selected to 15. On GS intercept, continue to slow and deploy flaps on schedule such that you are in landing configuration at final approach fix. Fly a stabilized approach, which means nothing changes below 1000 ft AGL. This becomes very smooth with a little practice, and once you can do it with A/P I recommend trying it by hand. If things are happening too fast, try backing up to intercept final course 5 nm or further outside FAF.After landing, deploy spoilers, thrust reverse until below 60 kts and brake. I don't use autobrake or armed spoilers, but that is just my preference.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest iain williams

Yes this is the way I do it also - more or less.The most important thing is to be in a clean configuration (speed, flaps, all the switches & dials set, constant rate of decent. etc) by the time the FAP is reached.Practice using the AP, then slowly remove the automatation.I love to land the 737 manually, but without practice it can be difficult at times....IAIN