Sign in to follow this  
craig_read

PMDG Ops questions.. I want to put a doc in

Hi everyone..Basically.. I'm trying to learn as much about flying the 747-400 as I possibly can.. I'm a big enthusiast.. and I figure that the only way to really improve my own knowledge is to document what I know in a tutorial of my own design.. and then use the discussion and comments to better my understanding..My tutorial I've nearly finished now.. is very extensive.. covering planning.. fuel planning.. all pre-flight prep.. taxi tips.. take off in detail.. SIDS/STARs... Fuel Monitoring and control.. step climbs.. you know the whole deal.. right down to shutdown..But before I attempt to put anything on the PMDG OPs page.. there are a few things I wanted to clear up..1 - The file is pretty big at 45MB.. is that a problem?2 - Would PMDG object if I put in some of their tables in the tutorial for ease of looking them up if I referenced them?3 - What is the deal in terms of charts? Can I put those in the tutorial if I reference where I got them from?4 - My tutorial mentions other products (none of which are competition for PMDG I would add; Activesky, FSBuild, ITVV DVDs..Do I have to contact everyone mentioned in the doc and get permission for everything, before I can put it up in there or is PMDG OPs an unofficial centre for material?It was my plan to submit the tutorial with an initial acknowledgement statement at the start to mention my sources for information..So.. I guess that's me done.. OH.. and will many people actually read it and give me good criticism.. lol?Regards..Craig

Craig Read, EGLL

Hi Craig-thanks for considering the possibility of uploading your tutorial on the PMDG Ops wiki.A couple of notes:1) The size of your file at 45MB - is this because of pictures? If so, please note that they can be reduced in size using jpg compression as web sites rarely need dense dpi analysis (and bitmaps suck in terms of size)2) There cannot be any copyrighted material reproduced in the tutorial. That leaves out Jeppesen charts and other sources of info that aren't freely available.3) This goes (I am afraid) even for our own tables, as they are also copyrighted. You can reference them, though, in your tutorial.4) You can mention other products- no need to remove those, as long as you give respective trademark owners their credit.The best place to begin is http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki - if there's any objectionable material, I am sure that Ryan will chime in with corrections.Best,

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Craig,That's great that you want to participate in Ops - we need more like you!Just to augment what LK's said:1. Could you clarify what you mean by it being 45MB? What format is it in right now?2. Yeah - stuff you can get for free such as the government provided NACO charts are probably fine, but definitely nothing that is copyrighted.3. Best thing to do here would just be to reference the manual page number and title of the chart - anyone reading this will have the manual.4. Yep, no problem at all mentioning other products - most of us use all that stuff ourselves and recommend it.One other thing - pay careful attention to what you name your Wiki article. You probably want to be more specific, ie "747-400 Tutorial" is probably too generalized to use as a name in case someone else wants to write their own or something like that. What I'd be willing to do is set up a page on Ops called "747-400 Tutorials" and then just link your article off of it, sort of the same way we've done with our FAQ page that links to the individual FAQs for each product.Thanks again for contributing and let me know if you need help with getting the article posted etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ok.. no problem I'll put in those changes.. I'll check that the charts that I've used are not copyright in any way.. and if they are I'll reference them out..The 45MB is due to pictures.. but they are all already compressed as much as possible.. I've put max compression on and they are in PDF format now... I did go a bit mad and wrote in a lot of explanation as to why you do things.. and descriptions of various aspects of the flight.. Planning and fuel planning is fairly substantial.. and I do want to extend it and update it, I really want to find out where I'm wrong so I can learn.. etc.. also some areas are not quite as complete as I'd like.. The "tutorial" as it stands now is nearly 200 pages... there is A LOT of illustration though.. and I've tried to be as complete as possible when writing it.. It is in a draft state right now so I hope to reduce that a bit..Just for your clarification.. I've created a flight to LA from LHR.. I thought it would give chance to use things like step climbs.. for the moment I've ignored weather as it over complicated things quite a lot.. (although unrealistic, but I have given explanation as to how it would change with weather etc..).. But I thought a long haul would give chance to mess with fuel configurations and the like..I'm hoping to get it done as soon as possible.. but I've got "proper" work to do as well and this is as and when I can fit it in..Thanks for the replies.. I'd like to drop you a line when I am ready to upload it :)CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

On your own tutorial 4 with the PDZ arrival in it.. there are some STAR and SID charts.. am I right in assuming these are not copyright by anyone? And if I get charts from the same source I can use them in my tutorial?Ooops forgot to sign!CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Craig,Using the free government NACO charts should be fine. What you can't use is Jepp charts or anything else that is a paid product not freely available to anyone.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com