Sign in to follow this  
Captain Caveman

Bank limit and LNAV

Hi when in LNAV with bank limit set for f.ex 10 on the 747 the aircraft stillturns more than the limit. is this an error or is it like this on real?

Note the 737 behaves the same way. We had a thread on this topic several months ago... the bank limit setting is for MCP HDG only; someone commented that the FMCs in fact do really crank in the bank for turns of a significant number of degrees. Sometimes I'll use the HDG with 15deg bank limit to keep from upsetting the pax... I read that this method is used RW.Still seems odd to me... my research in protected lateral limits for high altitude airways found that FAA assumes aircraft are making half-standard rate turns at those heights and speeds. I'm still a little skeptical that a real FMC will set up a 30deg bank at 0.82; oh well, this is the way the simulation works.

Dan Downs KCRP

That is because you are trying to have some control when you are also having the AFDS in command. This feature only works on non LNAV control just like the real thing. Try it in HDG SELECT if you want to limit to bank angle manually.Best,Randy J. Smith<<>>

I doubt anyone would notice. However they would notice it though if you were trying to avoid a CB and went into it because you still had auto on the bank selector and where turning with 15 degrees of bank. Select 25 degrees and go for it!.CheersSteve

Cheers

Steve Hall