Sign in to follow this  
Guest Diores

PMDG and Windows 64X

Guest Diores

Those PMDG737, 747 works with windows 64X. I was trying to downloaded but the download freezes over.

I'm running PMDG planes on x64 for nearly two years now and never had a problem. Your freezing download problem can't be related to the PMDG product and most certainly is also not related to x64...Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest dobova

Hi Markus,just for my info...did you gain some performance with XP x64 in fs9 ?CiaoDome

Dome,no FPS increase, however texture loading is a lot faster. For example loading the extended terrain texture takes much less time, same for flying over a photo scenery.And the AI aircraft's textures load faster as well during view changes.All in all I can recommend the x64 OS. However my PC is only used for flight simulation, I'm aware that for other usage and hardware components there might still be problems with 64bit. But for that other tasks I'm using Apple so I wouldn't care ;)Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

XP x64 OS works fine here as well. I've been using it since it went RTM almost two years ago. Unlike Markus, I use this PC for everything a normal home-user does including FS. Agreed, the biggest advantage to FS is the file access time and bandwidth for loading textures. During troubleshooting a while back, I dropped back to the 32-bit version of WinXP and couldn't stand-it. I immediately went back to x64.In the past two years, venders have made great strides in supporting drivers for the 64-bit OS as well. We couldn't say that in the early days. If your PC is less than one or two years old, and you don't have any odd-ball hardware, you shouldn't have any problem finding drivers.Remember, most of your 32-bit applications are run under the x64 SysWow64 emmulator which fools the app into thinking it's on a native 32-bit OS. That's why most applications run fine on it. Don't attempt to run any registry-cleaner applications on this OS though as the entire registry is duplicated within iteslf with both 32-bit and 64-bit sections. 32-bit registry cleaners will attempt to clean the 32-bit portion but are unaware of the 64-bit section so your registry can become even more problematic.The first step is to determine the availabilty of 64-bit drivers for your hardware. Inventory your system using apps like SysInfo, Device Manager, & Add-Remove programs, then go out to each of the venders and locate the relevant drivers. Once you have a pretty good feel for the drivers, you may want to dual-boot WinXP and WinXPx64 for a while to see how things react. Make sure you load the x64 version of the OS second.I don't recommend switching to x64 to people who have never built their own PC or feel comfortable installing operating systems. Remember, you can not use the upgrade option to install WinXPx64 overtop of existing WinXP 32-bit installation. It has to be installed from the ground-up by booting from the Installation CD.Good luck...

Regards,
Al Jordan
------------
KMLB