Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Dreier

Nosewheel Shimmy - 747-400F

I've done a search, but have found no real answer to my problem. I can't get the nosewheel of the 747 to track freely after touchdown and rollout. While on the ILS approach, I've disengaged the FD prior to touchdown, and disconnected the AP while on rollout. Even so, the nosewheel is very sensitive in taxi and I have to fight to keep the aircraft centered on the taxi line. Any idea what I might be doing wrong and how to correct this. Help is appreciated!!! Thanks. BTW, this is in FS9.

Chuck,I think you can reduce the sensitivity of the nose wheel, I'm just not sure how to go about it. Ok fellas, chime in here ;-)

I had the same problem. After an autoland, I would disconnect the autopilot and the aircraft was very difficult to control while taxing. I discovered that you need to center your aileron and/or rudder trim. This autopilot is using trim to maintain centerline on the rollout. This fixed the problem for me. Hope this helps.Dustin

>I had the same problem. After an autoland, I would>disconnect the autopilot and the aircraft was very difficult>to control while taxing. I discovered that you need to center>your aileron and/or rudder trim. This autopilot is using trim>to maintain centerline on the rollout. This fixed the problem>for me. Hope this helps.>>DustinDustin, when you say to center the trim - are you referring to the throttle pedestal or what? Thanks.

No the rudder trim which is on the center pedestal panel. In FS go to your control assignments menu. Under "control surface commands" find "rudder&aileron (center)". Mine is set to Num5 (can't remember if this is default or not). Next time you land and disconnect the autopilot on the rollout, hit the button or key assinged for "rudder&aileron center" after the autopilot is off. This should solved the control problem for me.Dustin