Sign in to follow this  
demanmetdeneus

Navigating with the Beech 1900c

Hello there,I have a couple of questions about navigating the Beech 1900c from Amsterdam (EHAM) to New York (KLGA)in a couple of flights via Great Britain, the Faroe Islands, Greenland and Canada.I do not want to use the FS9 GPS system. Seems like a nice challenge.Here are my questions...1. If I want to depart from EHAM I'll have to use a SID, for this flight I chose one that ends at BERGI above the north sea. Now from there all the connecting airways to Britain consist of waypoints/intersections. I can't use those (or can I?) so in stead I want to fly direct to the OTR beacon accross the sea, this leg however is not an airway. Can I file this? I mean, in real life, would such a leg be allowed in a flightpan in such a crowded area? And if not, what is another option?2 When flying from Iceland to Greenland and across Greenland I can only use NDB's. The range of these NDB's however is not very great (about 22NM). This would mean that if I plan from one NDB to another I'll be out of reach of both beacons for, I think, 100NM. Again, what happens in real life in these areas? Can I file that and fly the leg correcting my heading for winds? I hope someone can help me with this.Greetings!Peter

The coastal beacons intended for oceanic navigation real world are much higher power than the typical ndb used for localizer outer markers, which is what FS9 assumes all beacons are. High power beacon coverage is actually beyond VOR because the former uses a lower frequency that provides a little bit of ground wave whereas the latter is strictly line of sight.Wind correction while flying NDBs is an art, and once mastered you can pretty much figure out any kind of windage problem. Basically, if the needle drifts left you add correction to the right until you stop the drift. That's the easy part, now if you want to fly a bearing then you need to learn how to use the RMI along with the above technique, such that the needle points to the station after correction for drift and your actual heading depends on the amount of correction. See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NDBFlying without navaids over water is pretty much old fashion pilotage. Make an educated guess at the winds and make the appropriate correction and hope your track is close. I wouldn't hesitate to use any GPS available to help in this situation.Although not familiar with the specific airspace you mention, filing off airway direct to fixes is pretty common. You're lower than most of the traffic so the plan might be accepted as filed unless it crossed restricted or limited use airspace.Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP