Sign in to follow this  
Guest mia

"AT OR ABOVE" Question

The holding pattern context only allows hard constraints, in this case it becomes "HOLD AT FIX SLS RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE XXX ALT 8000 LEGTIME 1" for example. You didn't mention if this was a missed approach holding or an approach holding. Generally, the missed approach patterns have hard altitude constraints and approach holding patterns have the "AT OR ABOVE" because it is designed for arrivals coming in from any direction above the approach to enter the hold to get lined up for the final course, and loosing altitude in the pattern for entry into the final descent. In these cases I usually delete the altitude constraint altogether, because the next fix in the approach procedure also has an alitude constraint which suffices for the holding altitude restriction (I always assume that no one climbs during an approach segment).If it is an approach holding pattern at fix SLS followed by a segment that ends at the final approach fix, for example, then I would code it "HOLD AT FIX SLS RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE XXX LEGTIME 1 FIX FAF AT OR ABOVE 8000" - altitudes just for example. Then the altitude constraint for the hold pattern becomes implicitly "at or above" without having is explicitly coded.Sometimes the holding pattern is at the final approach fix, and it is not possible to code a hold at fix followed by the same fix. In these cases I create a pseudo fix at the same location. For example, if the hold is at SLS and the FAF is SLS then I create a fix called SLS0 with the declaration in the fixes section: FIX SLS0 COLOCATED SLS 000 0, then the code becomes HOLD AT FIX SLS..... FIX SLS0 AT OR ABOVE 8000.Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP