Sign in to follow this  
Guest iain williams

737 AIRSPEED /FLAP QUERY ON APPROACH

Guest iain williams

HiI was speaking with a person the other day who "claimed" he was knowledgable in ATC with 737 aircraft. He made the comment that a 737 can slow down very quickly only a few mile from the runway, and that they frequntly do this when landing under noise abatement conditions.Now with me in FS9, I am at about 1180 kias flaps 10/15 probably 10 mile out as I start to decend on the glideslope (depending on aircraft series and weight). I like to have everything set up for the final landing approach by the outer marker. At the OM I lower the gear with flaps 15/25 VREF + 10 thereabouts. I then move to flaps 30 VREF + 5 somewhere between the OM and FAF.Am I configuring my approach too far out? I find that if I do as this guy suggests I can rarely reduce speed in time to be at VREF + 5 at the FAF.BTW I follow the tutorial produced by Metzinger almosr to the letter without hassles, then this guy comes along and states something completely different.What do the experts think??Thanks....IAIN

In my opinion, for what it's worth, is that the procedures described in Tim's Tutorial are what should be followed in most situations. However, I do know for a fact that at KBWI, approach control will often clear aircraft for the approach and also tell them to maintain 170kts or greater until 5mi final. On VATSIM I often here maintain 180kts until the outer marker at Atlanta. In these cases I just configure myself for that speed with gear down. Upon reaching the end of the speed restriction I just set Vref +5 in the speed window if using autothrottle and then drop flaps as the speed drops. If not using autothrottle then I just set flight idle and do the same with the flaps. I usually have no trouble slowing to Vref+5 1000ft AGL which is where I like to be set for landing and stable. The key is to go ahead a drop the gear will maintaining the requested speed. The drag from the gear will help you slow down very quickly.

Dave Paige

Guest iain williams

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl this weenend and se how I do! Best....IAIN

Guest B1900 Mech

Most large airports require a set speed,for example 170kts be maintained to the outer marker.Our B1900 crews tell me that KLGA Approach will sometimes have them do 230kts to 3 DME! But that is aircraft specific,being that the 1900 has tremendous deceleration ability's , due to the large prop discs. All that matters is,that your on speed and stablized by 1000'agl in imc,or 500' in vmc.