Sign in to follow this  
Guest Groenewold

SIDS, TRANS. Question

Guest Groenewold

I've done a search on this and can't seem to find an answer to my question unless I overlooked it, if so I apologize. When I program a flight into the FMC I keep winding up with strange waypoints when I select a SIDS/STARS. I've been following the instructions in the OPS manual and here's what happens anyway: After setting up the FMC,I select the origin and destination, then I go to the DEP/ARR page and select the SIDS for a particular runway, then I select the TRAN if any exists then the available runways show up. When I select the runway a dotted line appears on the PFD that has me going back and forth, criss crossing the airport at angles the plane is not capable of turning. This is before any other waypoints have been entered. I have tried to select just a runway and avoid the SIDS/STARS altogether but when I activate the flight plan it puts them in there on its own. Is there a way to enter a flight plan without using the SIDS/STARS or does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or what I'm missing. Any help would be appreciated.Sincerely,Hans Groenewold

Well, what I usually do is have a flight plan ready without the SID/STARs. This way, you can see what your first/last waypoints are. Your first waypoint should be the transition from your SID. Naturally, your last waypoint is the transition into your STAR. It helps if you have charts so you can see the avaliable SID/STARs and their transitions.As for not using SID/STARs, just enter the flight plan and then the runways. The SID/STARs should not show up. And about the sharp turns. The computer usually smooths them out. If not, the aircraft will turn as sharp as it can and put itself back on course.Hope this makes sense.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest Groenewold

I'll give that shot and see if that works. I normally use FSnav to plot out the course and have uploaded flight plans directly to the FMC. Can you tell me how to clear the FMC and start a flight plan over so I don't have to exit FS and come back in?Thanks,Hans Groenewold

Ryan,You can delete the flight plan by going to the routes page and selecting Delete and then selecting on the destination airport. Been a while since I have done this so it coule even be the clear key and then the airport. Dont know if this is the correct way, but it does clear the route. Hans,Does this happen with every airport you fly from, I used to get this problem when I was trying to set up a STAR for FACT (Cape Town SA). The route would be great right up to the point that I put in the STAR and it then put loads of lines all over the destination. Try updating you SID/STAR files from this address:http://planepath.com/Let me know how you get on.Justin

Justin Paull

Guest davidbernard

Hi,This seems to happen at certain airports where the FMC gets confused and uses wrong fixes from the SIDSTAR database. It happens also when I use the latest NavData cycle that should contain the up-to-date procedures. It's a minor bug.I just edit the procedure from the LEGS page according to the charts.David Bernard