Sign in to follow this  
RDG41

747 FMC problems

Ok, I'm having some problems with the 744 frieghter. First off my version of the Queen is a cd version that didn't need the patch. Last night I created a flight plan from KSFO to EGPH with flight sim commander and when I loaded it into the FMC, the route loads ok but I keep getting a runway load error message.The second problem I have is an insufficent fuel message.Prior to going into the sim, I load the cargo and fuel using the load manager but it doesn't seem to matter how much fuel I have , I still get an insufficient fuel message.Thanks for the help, Ron

What is your input for your reserve fuel?... What fuel to you have on board.. what weight of PAX/Cargo do you have on board?.. What does the PROG page say when in flight?Those are the questions I'd be asking.. Perhaps you're entering the incorrect value in the RES FUEL section on the FMC? Perhaps putting your fuel amount in that space by mistake? What do you put as your COST INDEX?If you can tell us the numbers for these data we might be able to help you out a bit more.. But commonly it is the RES FUEL that's the problem..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Hi Craig,I picked a random load so I can't give you an exact figure on that right now(it looked to be about 2/3 full) but I can tell you that I had on board about 237,000lbs of fuel and initially, had 10% set for reserve and cost index at 125. After the FMC message, I bumped the fuel up to 280 and still had the insufficant fuel message. Then I dropped the reserve down to 5% and put the cost index at 100, still the message appeared. No matter what I did , the FMC stated I would have "0" fuel once I arrived....it wasn't changing. So I guess I'm wondering that once this message appears, do you have to creat a new flight to get rid of it?Thanks for the help, Ron

The reserve measures in weight, not %. I usually enter 19 or 24 depending on the route but this is also for the PAX version. Sometimes on long haul flights, I may get this warning before I even leave the gate. The trick is finding a good balance between payload and fuel. Remember, the more payload you have, the more fuel you need to carry that payload over a distance. Also, in a paradoxical way, the more fuel you have, the more fuel you need to move the fuel you already have. Another important thing is that the MORE of a PAYLOAD you have, the LESS FUEL you can carry to make weight restrictions. The Payload Manager automatically limits your maximum fuel level to keep your weight at or below 875,000.Hope this helps.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Thanks Ryan for sharing your experiences and knowledge. I keep forgetting that this is a very complex add on. I have one question for you. When you say you sometimes get this message before you leave the gate, are you able to correct it in that flight or do you have to end the flight, exit FS and change the values in the load manager, then go back in.Thanks, Ron

You're welcome, Ron. Anyway, if I get an INSUFFICIENT FUEL message at the gate, I add more fuel if I can accommodate it without going over my weight limits. If the message appears in flight, I reduce my reserves but make sure I have enough to land and make it to the gate. Other than that, unfortunately yes, you must exit and adjust your payload. Unless you don't mind going over your weight limits. I did once but got scolded since I also use FSPassengers.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg