Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flyingdutchman

Freeware Developers Give them a break

Hi All:I have seen over the past few weeks alot of people complaining over great freeware planes that have been developed. There is nothing wrong with providing constructive critism, but it seem some people have gone over board. I cannot understand, by what right people have to start off complaining, over someone(s) hard work, dedication, time and effort into making works of art for all of us to enjoy. This simple amazes me. I think that this only applies to a minority of people out there, not the majority. Where are some peoples manners? Can we just stay a simple thanks, I appreciate what you did and achieved? Is that too hard? Yet, I see some people say,our flight dynamics are wrong, your engines colors are wrong, and the list can go. Lets stop this mess. I truely admire people like, Mike Stone, Peter Sterling, Simubuild, Project Airbus, Posky, CSI, PSS, and this list can go on and on. Lets give them a break, and let them do what they do best, design planes, panels, scenery for all us to enjoy. I for one, do admire all those who make those great planes, panels and scenery. I do appreciate all of there efforts. Your talents and efforts are appreciated. Charles Huckelbery

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thanks Charley!I haven't done a spit in the bucket compared to some around here, but we truly appreciate your words and that's all the thanks necessary, if any is necessary at all. I like doing what I do and when I have created something I like, albeit perhaps not perfect, I like sharing it with others.I, for one, know that the complainers are a minority, so I pay little attention to them and will continue to carry on. Never know what's going to come out of my drawing room next. Depends on the mood. Cheers!And thanks!Heather

Totally agree. I own the payware C421 and it is a really nice plane but lately I've been flying the freeware Piper Arrow 3 of John Baier and am sure I'll be using the Deb more once the VC version comes out. There are tons of great freeware aircraft. I wish I could make them myself.

Welcome to the world of "Its all about me". It never ceases to amaze me what folks who contribute freely of their time have to put up with. I think we should develop a "wall of shame" that freeware authors post some of the more agregious email they get on, and let the senders be publicly exposed. Bet that might cause some of these children to consider before shooting off at the mouth. In fact, AVSIM should post some of the email we get too!!! :)

I'll be glad to contribute as I get about 1 or 2 a day should of, would of, could of e-mails....Rick Sasala

Anniette:Your very welcome. And thanks for your comments. I cannot wait to see Mike's 727 come out of your paint shop. I know that they are going to be great! BTW: I do love your web site and your art work. Thanks for posting them and your planes are just great! Thanks for all your efforts.Kind regards,Charles Huckelbery

Hi Tom:Thanks for your comments. Maybe a wall of shame might help. Some exposure might help. Maybe also banning them from downloading files here at AVSIM might help also. I fear that probably the responses one would get would take all of AVSIM hard drive. I appreciate hearing from you. Kind regards to you and your family. Hopefuly, if I can go to the convention, I love to meet you.Charles Huckelbery

DO IT!!!! DO IT!!!!! That would be so much fun and provide great stress relief after a hard day at work!!Call it the LAUGH LAST page or conference!!I'm all for it, and as soon as I am able to be among those who get the cruddy emails I'll send in a submission.DO IT!!! DUDE, Your getting your email posted!!http://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssig.jpg"There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"

Yes Sir that would be great!!!! I cannot believe that anyone would OR SHOULD complain about anything that's freeware period!!!!I don't know a thing about making any of this stuff,A/c, scenery,mesh, etc. so I'm very grateful to all the people that do and willing to share, and for free!!! A very big thank you to all of you designers of everything.http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/reddog/596406.jpgUSMC Retired

I completely agree with Reddog, I know nothing about building/repainting...etc and I LOVE the add-ons that Microsoft missed or didn't add. You people in the community that take the time to improve on a product and aren't out to make a profit... kudos to you!

I agree with all said exept the title "Freeware Developers Give them a break" Do not give them a break or they get nothing done, they can Model /paint/design/program ect as they eat and drink, so do not give them a break or they will sit in the garden all day!Anniette xxxxxxxx

Sorry me I've to say;I do not see that much complains about freeware on other sites - not as much as this forum. I'm with the authors which spend lots of time in produce freeware - but the problem is that visitors at avsim complain a bit too much over too many issues! and perhaps too often as nowhere else. Just a honest Opinion.Ray

While I agree 100 percent in thanking freeware designers for their dedication, etc., I do think that "criticism" is not unwarranted. I am not, by any means, condoning the trashng of someone's work just because it isn't perfect. Nor do I agree with the idea that no matter what might be wrong with a product, it should be accepted unequivocally because it is freeware. Many freeware products have problems that can be fixed if someone just points them out to the developer. I've done this and the developer thanked me and improved his/her product.

Wow, Anniette! I never pictured you with a whip. :-)Mike Stone

Then I failed Mike to send the correct picture in the correct email :)HAHAHAHA

I agree. If I were a freeware author I would certainly like to know what reasonably criticism is out there. This is what this forum is for. If the only thing available was unbound praise or silence - what good it is for. :-hmmmI don't know about aircraft but many scenery designers specifically ask for feedback. So maybe some aircraft designers should specifically request that there be not any feedback ;-)Michael J.

Noone asks or expects unbound praise. I welcome and expect feedback on my aircraft. I've made numerous enhancements and fixes to my aircraft as a result of user feedback. Most of my designs are found as version 2 or version 3 in the library for this very reason.But there is a difference between constructive feedback and pointless (and all too often obnoxious) complaining. My pet peave is "Why did you do it that way?". My answer is "Because I did it and you didn't."Lets say your lawnmower was broken, and your neighbor loaned you his for nothing. While using it you noticed that the engine was missing and one of the wheels was a little loose. Now there's two ways to handle this. You can mow your lawn, then give the mower back to your neighbor and say "Hey, if you're going to let me use your mower, at least have the decency to give the engine a tune-up, and fix that #$&@ loose wheel will you?" Or you could say "Hey thanks for letting me use it. It ran a little rough so I cleaned the spark plug and now it runs great. Oh, and I tightened that loose wheel for you". Which do you think has the best chance of you getting the lawn mower again next time you need it?Mike Stone

Hi Mike,I support each and every word you say.:-)And people wonders why so many "freeware developers" stops with freeware and goes over to the "other side" (payware):-lolFly safe, :-waveStaffan Ahlberg - FFG

I agree 100%. Freeware developers do everything to make there aircraft perfect, yet there is allways someone complaining. I could care less if an aircraft is not flying like the real thing, partly because I have and will never probly fly such an aircraft as a 747 or 777 as the pilot and will never know what is feels like. All I expect from all developers is a good aircraft that I can have FUN with. After all that is what a game is supposed to do.I say ignore the complainers and just enjoy the aircraft.Thanks for all these wonderful aircraft freeware developers, I don't know what we would do without you.

"I think we should develop a "wall of shame" that freeware authors post some of the more agregious email they get"I have a rich compendium stored over the years, but to be fair also some very nice ones too. One day I will reveal all!Regards,Rob Young

I think most freeware developers expect some criticism and learn to deal with negative criticism. The problem is when someone starts bashing them. There

>"wall of shame" Didn't Roy Chaffin have one of those for his anti-piracy campaign?>agregious email Sounds horrible, but what is an "agregious email"? :-hmmm phil;-)

Though I do agree with almost everything said here, I think we need to see this from both sides. For example, if I were to repaint an aircraft, post a preview, and somebody said "Oh, it sucks ;)" I just plain assume they're kidding, and if I were to see something like "Well, I think your paint is a tad off, you need to fix the placement of that logo and maybe change that color :)" I'd generally assume that the person is well intentioned because of that smile.However, on the other side, a lot of mail can be misconstrewn quite easily. The fact that an e-mail is supposed to be a formal means of communication would mean that generally one doesnt include a ;) or :) at the end of a sentace, therefore things can be seen in a whole different way, especially depending on your mood at the time. I know we've all had a sitation like this, where somebody wrote you an e-mail and you misunderstood something because you weren't sure of the context because you cannot see their emotions or face as they say it, ending in either an embarassing situation or just getting angry because you thought they said something they didn't.And, of course the point is that a lot of these indignent e-mails could easily have been misunderstood and seen the wrong way, which is why I urge anyone who does recieve an "angry" e-mail to read over it multiple times and consider any possible other tones that the author could have meant before replaing. Of course, i'm not defending the people who get kicks out of writing private e-mails to hard working authors flaming their work and not giving a good reason why, and just enjoying the reactions. Now thats the end of rant number one.Now for rant number two,I noticed Vince had said "Even if you

To be serious ,If you go to a shop and BUY a 747 and it is 40 feet short then you should say I am happy with it exept it is 40 feet short could you change it for a longer one PLEASE (big smile)If you go to a Junkyard and FIND a 747 for FREE and it is 40 feet short you should ask yourself "shall i take it home or leave it here"you do not got to the owner and say "Ok I know it is free but I want it 40 feet longer"you just leave it there ,and if you are that worried you go to a shop.Maby the author likes it shorter because it fits in garage at home ,why should he make it How YOU like it ?I bet Mike makes his Planes the Way He wants them and if you want him to do this the way You like them then pay him lots of money or go to a shop.I hope you understand this :)Anniette