Sign in to follow this  
Guest adampihavek

Optimal cruise altitude for PMDG737

Guest adampihavek

Hi all!Could anyone tell me,if there is any table for optimal cruise altitude planning?I mean table,where is a column with weights and with distance and according this two things,I could find out my cruise altitude...like on enclosed picture(table for MD80)Thank you,Adam

Good question, which I've wondered about so I started looking at how the operators fly 'em and it turns out that they seem to go as high as they can in the distance they have (given GTOW constraints and ATC).For example, all the West coast flights run right up to FL410 on trips between the SFO Bay Area and LA... here locally SWA runs a puddle jump between KCRP and KHOU (200nm) at FL280 but the STAR has 'em down to 10,000 70nm outside Hobby. This flight is literally an up and down. So I conclude they go as high as they can in the distance.Exceptions abound, but they all seem to be related to ATC, such as the KLAX-KLAS flights or KPIT-KBWI... these are held in the 20's for traffic separation rather than operational considerations.Anyway.. just my observations.

Dan Downs KCRP