Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

What is the max. permissible x-wind speed for landing the 744 ?

I read a while back that the new A380 did 6 landings in Iceland during trials late in 2006 in cross winds of a steady 40 knots gusting to 56 knots. I could hardly believe it.On a flight into KDCA from KLGA last winter, we were landed in our MD-80 in 40 knot winds which scared the heck out of me when the pilot said we were going in, but he approached and landed quite brilliantly.At times during the year, there are horrendous winds in my region (northern VA) and I am amazed how jets continue to operate in fierce winds.My question, then, is: what is the maximum cross-wind the 744 is certified to land in? I have read it is 25 or 30 knots for an autoland (I think), but in view of the foregoing, does it ever land in a 40 or 50 knot headwind or crosswind (hand-flown, perhaps)?Jonathan

Looking at the chart, the prominent variable is the degree of crosswind (component). About 30 knots seems the upper limit in any case. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is not a flight control issue- rather a bank angle issue in that the upwind engine pylons are in danger of striking the ground when removing crab.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest sunbear

Max. crosswind autoland is 25kts. Max. crosswind take-off/manual landing is 30kts.Regards,jack

a. Requirements for crosswind landing flight envelope are usually defined in the FAR /JAR according to which the aircraft is to be certified. The certified envelope assures the pilot that ample control and predictable response is available for such landings.b. There is nothing miraculous or spectacular in terms of pilot performance and technique during crosswind landing, while within the certified envelope. c. Greater ground clearance of lower aircraft surfaces such as engine nacelles, wings and horizontal tail, enable larger crosswind component landings, provided that the flight control system is also designed for this.d. The Boeing 747-400 is certified to 30Kt crosswind component for takeoff and landing, and 25Kt crosswind component for autoland. These figures are also valid (with one minor deviation) for all current Boeing transport aircraft.e. FAR often require applicants (usually the manufacturer) to demonstrate greater ability than is applied for. In such case, it is reasonable for the certification of 30Kt crosswind landings, that consistent landings be safely demonstrated during certification flight tests with a 40Kt crosswind component. Did that for a living ;-)>I read a while back that the new A380 did 6 landings in>Iceland during trials late in 2006 in cross winds of a steady>40 knots gusting to 56 knots. I could hardly believe it.>>On a flight into KDCA from KLGA last winter, we were landed in>our MD-80 in 40 knot winds which scared the heck out of me>when the pilot said we were going in, but he approached and>landed quite brilliantly.>>At times during the year, there are horrendous winds in my>region (northern VA) and I am amazed how jets continue to>operate in fierce winds.>>My question, then, is: what is the maximum cross-wind the 744>is certified to land in? I have read it is 25 or 30 knots for>an autoland (I think), but in view of the foregoing, does it>ever land in a 40 or 50 knot headwind or crosswind>(hand-flown, perhaps)?>>Jonathan

OK, that's clear, thanks, Opher!Jonathan