Sign in to follow this  
Vauban

Who uses the virtual cockpit, when and how?

Geoff:In AC setup, change walk rate to 0.10- now you can fine tune. Change back to (I use) 4.0 when you are done to walk at a reasonable pace.Please don't mistake this post as an ad for Active Camera- its a product I use, that works flawlessly with OUR PRIMARY piece of software- PMDG; and I am trying to share information which would be beneficial to our group as a whole. ;)Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest minnymike

i dont the displays are too small to follow its only use is for eye-candy

Geoff and anyone else interested- here are some screen shots to show how it all works out- you have to imagine the smooth transitions between views until I figure out how to do a movie......At 24" it is all clearly readable and fully workable- glorious stuff!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Alex-Each to their own I say. The 3 monitor post looks good- but just not my cuppa- I am hoping to upgrade to a 27" soon- same resolution 1920 x 1200- just BIGGER :) More importantly though- let us enjoy, that's what its all about! FS9 is far from dead- and FSX's future possibilities are BRIGHT- life is good! Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi Carl- I coudn't have said it better! Oh my, a 27" does sound nice! That should be big enough to have 3 views open, side by side, WITHOUT undocking. Bingo- 180

Hi all, I haven't forgotten this thread. I'm just getting used to Active Camera. Had some strange problems so I've deactivated it for a day or two. I'll get back to it though, and to you.CheersGeoff

Geoffrey Kent

Ok, I'm back. Had a quick knee op, so I'm house-bound and forced to while away the hours with FS. It's tough.I reactivated the AC DLL and started again.I didn't get past the first step which was to set up views in the vitual cockpit and store them. This went well till I began getting error messages.I start FS, select a default cold and dark, and when the scenery and terrain has all loaded and I'm in the 2D cockpit I switch to the 3D cockpit. Switching among the standard views is fine, using the S key.Then, Options > Active Camera > Load View Config... and here's where the problems start when I try to switch to one of my stored views, or even to a standard view using the S key."Scenery read error. Attempting to open a nonexistent directory: VIEWSDIRNAMEweatherclouds" where VIEWSDIRNAME is the name of the folder where I decided to put my AC view files. The error message repeats for every scenery file that FS now continues to load.I've narrowed it down to this: When FS finally has you seated in the cockpit, its 'current folder' is the FS installation folder. But after Options > Active Camera > Load View Config..., the 'current folder' changes to the folder where you stored your view files, and it remains like that. So FS continues to look for its stuff in that folder.The solution seems to be to store your view files only in the FS installation folder. Maybe you know all about this, or maybe I've jumped to the wrong conclusion. But that's enough excitement for one day. I'll take up the fight again tomorrow.One question before I limp off... - on the MCP, all zeros and eights look like filled in zeros. I think I read somewhere this is a screen resolution issue. My resolution is 1280x1024 on a 4 by 3 display. I've tried other resolutions with the same result. Any ideas? I'm using a GeForce 8600 GTS video card and it seems I can adjust just about anything.CheersGeoff

Geoffrey Kent

VC only for the last 3 years.My airliners:ATR72-500, LDS 763 and the QUEEN.The only plane I have to use a pop-up 2d panel is the LDS one, to use the CDU in it, in fact I had to pick my jaw from the floor when I learned that the new FSX version of it STILL has 2d only CDU??Just one more reason not to get FSX.The VC in the PMDG 747 is very clear and readable to me.Golli.

Hi Geoff,If you realy want to get the most out of your virtual cockpit, you cant go past the track IR pro. If your not so sure about how it works, just swing on over to youtube and run a search for "track ir fsx fs9" and watch a few of the realy cool videos.The price to purchase it is realy not that bad considering the many years of fun and total immerrsion you will get from this product. On another note i just noticed the other day that flightsim.com is running an article on a freeware program called Free Track. ( new and updated version of FreeTrack head tracking software is now available. The update offers new features like native FSX 6DOF support and FS2004 4DOF support. For details, read this announcement.) The fact this program is free is great news, but with that in mind i dont know how reliable it is. But it can give you a great intro as to what to expect if you purchase a Track IR pro. Anyway i realy recomend you watch a few videos on youtube and also visit the manufacturers website, www.naturalpoint.comif you do get a headtracking program, i can promise that you will never fly in the 2d cockpit again.Cheers

Thanks Golli. Nicholas, I took a look at some Track IR videos and was impressed. I'll get used to the VC first and if I find I use it regularly I'll start saving up.Geoff

Geoffrey Kent

Hi all, I had a VC question in an earlier post that seems to have got lost in the detail.In the MCP speed, heading, altitude digital displays, can anyone tell me why the zero and eight digits both display as filled-in zeros in the virtual cockpit.I've read somewhere that this is a screen resolution problem but I can't remember where. I've tried adjusting the res using Windows Display Properties but with no effect. The res setting in FS is the same at 1280x1024x32.I'm using a GeForce 8600 GTS.Appreciate your help.Geoff

Geoffrey Kent