Sign in to follow this  
Guest 747lover

737ng landing difference.

Guest 747lover

Hello again.I downloaded your entire 737ng series about one year ago.I been flying the 800 and 900 series wery much lately.I had a very interrestin experience yesterday.I took the small little 600 pig out of the hangar for a spin.My surprice came when I landed the thing.After finding the correct vref in the fmc.I was heading for landing at Newark.I had a few knots over vref over threshold with a normal sinkrate.I throttled back to idle at 30 feet and slowly pulled the nose up a few degrees just like I have done hundreds of time in the 800 series.I slammed the 737-600 down with a sinkrate of nearly 600ft/min,which in real life would have been close to a heavy landing check.Normally when a screw up a landing,I know exactly what went wrong.But after several replays I find out that I am using the same tecnic as in the bigger 737 series.My questin is:Is the wings on the 800/900 series mountet on a different angle than the 600/700 series or do they have some modifications to flaps and slats so that they don,t need so much nose up.I hope to get an answer from someone with 737 know how.

Guest flightgamer

Hello, first, be sure to sign all your posts with your real name please as stated in the Forum Rules...Second, no, all of the NG class from the 600 to the 900 have a wing sweep ratio of 25.02 degrees sweep.one thing, many pilots screw up on is keeping the throttles open until right before touchdown. a lot of time, pilots (especially when we fly with no real human co-pilot) re focus they're concentration on the runway outside to get a smooth touchdown and in turn, let the throttles retard too rapidly, therefore, canceling out they're attempt to counter act the sink with a stronger flare....be sure to keep the throttle open, and be sure the speed in VERY gradually reduced RIGHT before touchdown, maybe even AFTER you cross the Threshold.... as you, ive flown my 700/800/900 for ALONG time, and ive found that the best way to ensure the best possible landing.... also, you stated you wanted to take it out for a spin, well, the 600, is ALOT different than the 800/900..... about 30000 LBS lighter on average in fact, so dont beat yourself up for switching to a smaller airframe....... hope that helps, cya

The Vref differences between variants might be involved. Speed and pitch are very important.I can cut the throttles at 50agl and make a pretty good touchdown as long as the approach speed was nailed. I still tend to float a little if I over rotate in the flare, which can result in a firm landing. The trick is combining the nice landing with hitting the deck right at the TD markers. Practice.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest 747lover

Done a little research.Seems that the longer 800/900 series have a higher vref speed for the same weight than the 600 series.Specially at flap 30.This make them touchdown with less nose up pitch than the 600 series.So in fact you have to pull more up in the flare for the 600 series to make a nice landing.This is probably something a real world 737 driver must have in mind when he or she is flying a 600 series.