Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Wow, finally even I run out of memory in the 744 !

After years of flying complex add-ons with my huge XPS rig, I finally got the dreaded Out of Memory in the midst of a pre-approach into EGLL in the PMDG 744. Never happened before, ever--sorry it did happen in the CoolSky MD-80 which I no longer fly because of that. Prior to running out of memory, stress was evident in the form of numerous micro stutters around EGLL and London with AI traffic, etc. At 4000' and IAS 220, POOM! an OOM suddenly appears and that's it.What happened today that hasn't happened on 500 prior flights and what should I look to adjust in the sim or on my PC?Thanks!Jonathan

If you're using the new SimWings/Aerosoft EGLL 2008 and got it when it first came out...there was a new fileset/fix uploaded (I'm almost sure).I've flown both the east and west ILS's without any trouble, but some users are still reporting the OOM.I used to get it at SimFLyers KPHX alot and can't remember how it fixed itself.I suspect, and most probable, was the AFCAD file, which caused the problem. I know the EGLL from SimWings./Aerosoft, a new one was uploaded as well through their forums also.In general the OOM's are still a mystery to most. The most common reasons are 1. Bad or incorrect AFCAD file. 2. Ultimate Terrain users without the recent updates call texture files which are not present (same for other sceneries). 3. A stretch, but some think a NavData corelation to the scenery (MS) bgl's also.I'm using the latest NavData from Navigraph, FYI, and have had no problems lately.Bottom line, is that some are getting it and some are not. No one can seem to find the common denominator.We're pretty sure (most users and devs) that the OOM's are probably not related now to the aircraft add-ons (at least the well know companies like PMDG and such).Personally I suspect, that in the middle of all those issues, in general) there are some driver related issues on certain video cards with certain versions. I'm starting to believe this is the case with FSX also. It's really the only thing that can explain why 2 users with super high end rigs can get both really bad performance while the other one gets really good performance. That's a bit of a side note, but may be relevant as well.I'd try the AFCAD (look for dups also especially if you're running Ultimate traffic..remove the UT AFCAD and leave the SimWings one), then try the latest NavData and go from there.Good luck!

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Jeff:I do use UT AI in FS2004 and it's always stressed the processor even at 25% traffic in dense airports such as EGLL and KJFK. So I turned it off. It gave me a lot of frames back and I didn't have a stutter on repeating the flight now and landing smoothly.So I wonder if it's just UT AI overstressing things?Might be duplicate AFCAD as well or instead, don't really know. I use the default Fs2004 EGLL, by the way. I don't have any SimWings or Aerosoft scenery. Have very little add-on scenery at all, actually and it's never given me any problems.Jonathan

Check for a dup AFACAD then, I'd say. All the Flight1 UT's are easily identifiable.I'd then try getting the latest NAVDATA from Navigraph. It's payware, but well worth it.If that doesn't fix it, then check and make sure 1 of your ram sticks didn't go out. That happened to me before. A bad ram stick give the sympons of either a bad mobo or g-card at first starting to go out. My Dell XPS had the happen and even the Dell techs thought it was a mobo, so I got a new mobo, a new g-card, and new ram out the deal. They don't screw around when you buy and XPS from them. I love the service.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

What will the Navigraph navdata do for me exactly? I'll look into it, thanks.A bad RAM stick, wow, now I never thought of that one. But I guess it's possible. When the PC was new, the backup battery was disloged and caused some weird messages a long time ago. Generally the XPS is fabulous though.Jonathan

The latest NavData gives you all the current waypoints, SID/STAR's, IAP's (approaches), etc. It's usually the next step in real world navigation for simmers who want to fly real world routes, etc. You program the routes into your FMC.PMDG products support all this good stuff.A bad ram stick gave me a blue screen error. Not sure if this your exact problem, or if you're just slowly dying in FS until it just freezes and you have to ctrl-alt-del out of it. If your getting to the point where it starts blue screening, I'd check the ram first. I think there are some free diagnostics on the web, or simply call Dell and they'll have a tech out to your house (in the US) usually within 24 hours.Don't forget to try the usual defrag and make sure your PC isn't simply overheating also before calling Dell out to the house or spending money. On another note, the London area is an FPS intensive area, double that if your're also running Ultimate Terrain Europe, so expect stutters no matter what. For devs, there's some black holes as well. If you're running default London, I'd look into some payware sceneries for that area, you won't be dissapointed. Gary summons UK2000, Aerosoft/SimWings EGLL, etc.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

No, my OOM was a never before event with the PMDG 744; no blue screen or whatever. I just got this hugely wide message from Windows XP telling me that the PC has run out of memory and it blasted the message across the sim as it was playing. Came as a total surprise to me. My PC has only FS2004 on it, nothing else. No AV, no internet, no WORD, no nothing. Rarely ever needs defragging. It normally runs incredibly well with a vast array of hardware and triple LCD screens under TH2G. So today's OOM really was nasty and very surprising to me. That said, it seems that UT AI can kill frames. At 100% UT in KJFK, frames can fall to 7-8 from the usual 16-18 I get on the ground there, and once in the air with 40-50 AI around, frames are just devastated in the PMDG or Level-D, more so as I use the VC exclusively for all flying these days. Same sort of performance degradation around EGLL. So turning off UT AI was a good way to reclaim some frames and get fluidity back.There is a fellow who recently did an incredible rendering of EGLL, can't remember his name, but he said it is fluid with good frames. I have been thinking of trying that instead of the default EGLL which is pretty heavy on the processor. I have Dubai by FlyTampa and that is simply stunning and smoooooth. Wish all add-ons could be so incredible.Jonathan

The Heathrow I'd been considering IS Aerosoft's Heathrow 2008 --I just found it at SimMarket. It looks simply amazing and I wondered if it might be smooth like FlyTampa.Jonathan

Yes, the latest EGLL was by Thorsten of SimWings and published under the Aerosoft brand. It's very good.I see what you're saying about your OOM. I don't think that AI alone would actually cause an actual OOM unless it's (a plane) trying to load a texture which isn't there (repeatadly--spelling...lol). You can reclaim some frames though by turning it down.You've already checked for dup AFCADS?If I remmember correctly, the default scenery areas in FS9 were either not LOD'd (the gates especially), or not LOD'd good enough, which causes major perf hits.Martin of FlyTampa, I think, actually had to go and chop up the ORD gate areas for his MDW scenery, just so MDW would run good...lol, if I remember correctly, so any addons for the EGLL area 'should' greatly help.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

In checking for dup AFCADS with AFCAD 221 SCAN AFCAD, it shows I have 14 dup AFCADs in FS2004 (including add-on sceneries) including biggies such as LIRF, OMDB, EDDF, but not EGLL. It was my understanding that you can have dup AFCADS safely in FS2004 as long as they are not in the same SCENERY folder together. Anyway, I've never had OOMs or CTDs at LIRF, OMDB or EDDF even with dups and they are all in different SCENERY folders in addition to the UT folder which has them all listed as well.Makes any sense...?!The latest EGLL by Thorsten looks unbelievable but I see a number of folks are reporting OOMs there which is unsettling. I am strongly tempted to get it anyway. What do you think?Jonathan

Yeah, that's what I was saying before about the EGLL 2008. I have it and it runs just fine for me. I'd go ahead and try it out.If you don't have any dup AFCADS, then I'm not sure. There's too many variables.All I can say officially is: Welcome to the hard core simmers club. Now you're officially a part of the club...LOL. Sorry to say.:9 I've always been a firm believer that you're not really 'in' until you've had your first OOM.Try a defrag, reboot, and see if it happens again.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

I just rebooted and went to FlyTampa DUBAI, and with their massive AI at the gates got great frames and fluidity landing the Air China PMDG 744 in a major t-storm with my current DISPLAY settings which are 2/3 or 3/4 right for everything. So, who knows, eh?!As long as it works most of the time, the rest I care less about after all these years. I'm always trying to troubleshoot an issue like this whenever I can, though, but if it looks like it could be a dozen and one things, then I try to go forward and not worry too much.I'm going to buy the new EGLL 2008 this evening. It looks too sensational to pass up. I grew up visiting EGLL from end to end over a long period time, and think this fellow has done a stupendous job of it.I'll check the defrag status of my XPS but it almost never needs a defrag and I've tried to keep an eye on that 'cos I do know it can become critical if ignored for a long time.Jonathan

Sounds good. :-)BTW, I bought my XPS when they first came out. If I told you that I haven't even had to reformat or re-install the O/S, I'd get royally roasted by almost everyone here, especially as an ex-dev...ROFL. OOOOPS!Have fun!

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

Well, I bought Heathrow 2008 Version 1.1 at SimMarket and it installed in moments and works perfectly on my system. I did an ILS approach and an autoland in the PMDG 744 and it ran very well. I raised UT AI traffic to 100% and frames fell to 6.8 in the Cessna! I have UT AI traffic at 10% now and I have frames and fluidity even with cumulus clouds.Only thing is the landing lights and taxiway lights look disgusting. They're hugely oversized, blinding, and look like a terrorist explosion on approach. I've written to Thorsten about this to see if he can assist. It may be to do with my TH2G set-up but all other lights in the sim are perfect and look great. If you have any ideas how to fix this, post away.So far, so good. Jonathan

>Only thing is the landing lights and taxiway lights look>disgusting. They're hugely oversized, blinding, and look like>a terrorist explosion on approach. I agree with this observation. FLY! used to have the best ever runway/approach lights, none of those "blobs".Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg