Sign in to follow this  
Guest Danielw2599

HDG Hold question.

Guest Danielw2599

Having only ever really used the default aircraft I am a bit confused by the auto-pilot system used on the PMDG747-FSX.At the moment I cannot figure out how to use the HDG Hold part of it. I have the A/P and ALT hold engaged and that works fine, however the HDG Hold switch is always illuminated and I cannot switch it off. Also when I want to use it and I adjust the HDG (its 000 by default), the aircraft does not respond even though the switch is illuminated.Edit: On another note, how do I get the flight path as shown in the flight planner to show in the PFD?ThansDan

There is a wealth of information in the AOM that came with the aircraft, actually required reading unless you are familiar with how real world aircraft systems operate (very different from default).The mode annunciator panel above the artificial horizon (PFD) tells you what the AFDS is doing at all times, and provides a clue as to why your MCP HDG isn't working.The flight path shows up on the ND display once it is entered into the FMC.. there's no connection whatsoever between the MSFS Flight Planner and the PMDG aircraft, thank goodness.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Danielw2599

Thanks for the reply.Have to say that when I first read the instructions they went straight over my head! Will give it another go though.ThanksDaniel

Guest Danielw2599

OK, managed to input my flight path in the FMC so thats ok.Still having issues with the auto-pilot though, even with the instructions I can't figure out how to use it correctly.

Guest Danielw2599

Scratch that! All sorted :)

Hi Daniel. Heading hold means exactly that. If you press that button the autopilot will hold the heading that the aircraft is currently on.The other option is heading select. In this case you can dial in the heading you wish to turn to and then push in that same button HEADING SELECT and the aircraft will then start a turn to your desired heading.I hope that makes sense and helps.Cheers,Nicholas Boskovic

Nicholas has it - HDG HOLD and HDG SEL are two different modes. HDG HOLD is just gonna hold the aircraft's current heading at the time you press the switch, nothing more.HDG SEL is what you want if you want to actually be able to dial in the heading on the MCP and have the plane turn to it etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com