Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnWilkins82

Paint kit question

jeff,apples and oranges. The error is for too many LAYERS, not Channels. Trust me when I say merging layers before saving as a DSS format will work.I've done over 70 of our liveries.

Well now you really got me interest peaked....I went and D/L'ed the FSX template and looked.So Using the "747400_Fuse_Layout_Template.psd" Which from doing paints for FS9 is the one you use after you paint and are ready to convert the textures...If memory serves.I collapsed all 7 of the layers...And left in the 'Alpha Channel'...I get the To many channels warning..Take out the 'Alpha" and it will save as DDS?Then Leaving the 'Alpha' out and leaving the "Layers" un-merged...It saved?Not trying to argue with you Pete,simply because I have only been doing the FSX paint thing a short time.But I have a few paints under my belt also...And "Layers is Layers" and Channels is Channels"...No way to get around that.When I first started converting all my FS9 repaints for FSX I learned real quick what a bear that 'Alpha Channel' can be! All I saw was 'Pretty Black or Gray planes'.So,if I seem to be persistent...sorry...just trying to learn how to get a handle on FSX.Jeff

jeff,NP. This is what to do. Paint the fuse_left and right with the livery and do a final save with all layers. Now merge all layers then copy the flattened fuse onto the fuse_cut template. Select each layer, front, middle and rear in turn and copy and paste into the fuse layout template. Once you've pasted the flattened fuse into the fuse_cut template you can close it WITHOUT saving. This will preserve your livery fuse with all layers intact for later editing if necessary. Close the fuse_cut template (you can save if you want to). Now you must merge the fuse layout template and save as DDS. That's it in a nutshell.

Guest Knikolaes

>chris,>>After step 1 you must then perform a merge all layers. You>will then be able to proceed with the rest of the DSS format>save. Make sure you select No MIP maps in the MIP Map>Generation option.>>PetePete, thank you. I will do this tomorrow night after class and hope it works :-) That one sentence actually explained a lot. :-)