Sign in to follow this  
NoahBryant

Default cold and dark?

I saw this posted a long time ago and have tried in vain to locate it so I apologize. But, is it possible to make it so that when I start new flight with the 744X it starts as cold and dark instead of all ready to go with the engines running?The only way I can start a new flight is to open the saved cold and dark scenario, change the date/time, then change the location...and 50% of the time, my FS crashes in trying to do this.Thanks

Noah Bryant

Noah,The PMDG simulation is an extremly complicated piece of computer simulation.You should really boot up FS with a saved flight scenario...the aircraft that should be used in this saved scenario should be the default cessna...(cold an dark cockpit) - completely powered down.From there you can then go to the preferred location at your chosen departure field & then select the 744/F.Once the aircraft has been loaded you can select your particular cockpit scenario...I have saved my own version of the Cold & Dark Cockpit.If you attempt to start the 744/F with engines running I am sure you will encounter all sorts of issues...this will ultimately cause FS to freeze or crash as you describe.Part of the enjoyment that I get out of using the PMDG product is the pre-flight preparations...both in terms of rte & fuel planning & also in cockpit preparation.Kind RegardsSteve Bellpilotinfo.php?pid=0538&bg=b744

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Dont think I was clear in my question. I dont want the engines to be running when I start the sim. Other add-ons that I have (LDS and 737PIC) have an option that makes it when you start up the sim, the plane is in the cold and dark mode. When I try to open a scenario, then change the date/aircraft/location this sometimes causes a crash so I want to avoid it.So is there a way to make it so that when I create a new flight with the 744X, it starts up cold and dark.Thanks!

Noah Bryant

The default load has engines running, no option other than to prepare a saved flight in the cold and dark condition. You can go to the PMDG menu and select a saved panel state in the cold and dark condition that you have already set up to your preference or use the default.I have saved flights in this condition at many of the locations that I fly the 744, at the correct gate in the corresponding livery. All I have to do is set the current date/time. I don't understand why this is a problem, except other simulations may have an option not available in PMDG. I like the way it works, it means I only have to look up the correct gate for my "company" once.

Dan Downs KCRP

ok thanks. I was just hoping...I'm not sure why it's an issue either, I have a good system, not great, but good. Sometimes though, when I load up a cold and dark scenario, then change the time and the location it just crashes on me.Thanks anyways!

Noah Bryant

Noah,I have a 4-yr old system (serving me well too!!)This is how I have avoided EVER having FS9 Crash, black smoke emit from the engines & all the other issues that people report when loading up PMDG aircraft.1. Boot up FS & choose the default flight. Ensure the most basic default FS Cessna is loaded (most addons & all default a/c use prefer this as the start point).2. Re-position the aircraft at your favourite gate/airport.3. If your an online flyer tune Comm 1 to 122.800.4. Shut down the Cessna...completely including fuel pumps, avionics & electricals etc until it is 'cold & dark'.5. Change the date & time to reflect your preferences.6. 'Tweak' your FSUIPC settings (joystick, pedals, WX etc)7. SAVE this flight (mine is called 'Ready for Flight'). Re-boot FS & select this flight iot check that all is as it should be.I resave my 'ready for flight' scenario (default Cessna) once or twice a week to make sure the date & time is recent.8. Then select the PMDG 744 as normal & allow it to load.9. At this stage select the 'Cold & Dark' Cockpit scenario from the PMDG Menu.10. You can then alter all the switches, bells & whistles (load/remove fuel etc) before saving this scenario via the PMDG Menu.You will end up with a favourite scenario from which to select the PMDG product in a cold & dark scenario with no issues or crashes. Then...when you want to fly...1. Boot FS & select the 'ready for flight' scenario (default Cessna).2. Change date & time - you will need to 'tweak' this later on.3. Select your PMDG product - ALLOW it to load. Select the previously saved 'Cold & Dark' Cockpit scenario via the PMDG menu...ALLOW it to load.4. If you use 3rd party WX addons like Active Sky start this programme at this stage.5. Complete your flight planning/preflight preparations & go fly!!Hope this helpsKind RegardsSteve Bell

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'