Sign in to follow this  
Guest cloudfreak

questions about the nice 747-400X

26 minutes ago, skelsey said:

there's a reason real pilots usually only fly one type at at time!

Except that I believe the 757 and the 767 are common type rating, and apparently some carriers have the 777 and the 787 as one.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Absolutely - though strictly speaking those are examples of a single type rating covering two types. Also the case on the A320 series  (one type rating for all four baby buses, another for the 330/340 and there is a cross qualification that allows pilots to operate both). Indeed there is no regulatory limit to the number of type ratings you can hold at once - the problem is that you have to maintain currency on all of them and once you start flying more than one type it starts becoming impractical to do the requisite number of landings (especially if one or both is a long haul type), two or more sets of sim sessions (one for each type) every six months etc etc.

9 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

I thought the issue was with the flap retraction sequence.

I'm just using the Logitech 3D Pro, so nothing too fancy, either.

You are right. The issue was with flaps sequence and is resolved thanks to you my Captain Kevin.

Patricio Valdes

9 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

I'm just using the Logitech 3D Pro, so nothing too fancy, either.

I have the Logitech 3D Pro but resigned to using on it because the stick gets back to the center position if I release it. Wingman lets me leave the stick at the position I want to release it so I can be free hands example to arm VNAV.

Patricio Valdes

22 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

I have the Logitech 3D Pro but resigned to using on it because the stick gets back to the center position if I release it. Wingman lets me leave the stick at the position I want to release it so I can be free hands example to arm VNAV.

How many hands does it take for you to fly. If you're hand-flying the plane, it's generally one hand on the stick, the other on the thrust levers, and if you need to do something like arm VNAV or something, you'd use the hand that's on the thrust levers to do that. If I need to look over to hit a button, I just shift my thumb to the hat switch to look in a different spot accordingly. Of course, since you're generally flying at a constant thrust on departure anyhow, keeping one hand on the thrust levers may not actually be necessary.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

1 hour ago, Captain Kevin said:

How many hands does it take for you to fly. If you're hand-flying the plane, it's generally one hand on the stick, the other on the thrust levers, and if you need to do something like arm VNAV or something, you'd use the hand that's on the thrust levers to do that. If I need to look over to hit a button, I just shift my thumb to the hat switch to look in a different spot accordingly. Of course, since you're generally flying at a constant thrust on departure anyhow, keeping one hand on the thrust levers may not actually be necessary.

I use the mouse to hit VNAV I have to release the stick to do that. With my left hand is too lazy handling the mouse (lol). I think will give a try again on Logitech 3D Pro since I learned on how to move flaps which was the main reason to get back to Wingman. I will find out about arming VNAV, But remember the example of VNAV action is for Level-D 767.

Patricio Valdes

6 hours ago, trisho0 said:

I use the mouse to hit VNAV I have to release the stick to do that. With my left hand is too lazy handling the mouse (lol).

But you actually need two hands to operate the mouse?

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

3 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

But you actually need two hands to operate the mouse?

I use the right hand for the mouse but busy with the stick. I have to release the stick to arm VNAV. It's not the case for PMDG anyway but LDS 767. So, Logitech 3D Pro would be for PMDG and Wingman for LDS 767. Swap joystick will not work for me but I will try the Logitech which is newest and Wingman sometimes has spikes. Let's see later.

Patricio Valdes