Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Susan27

"Reset" PFD-Warning frame ("ATS-off") after shut-down?

Guest Susan27

Hi,just landed with the MD11 after a successful flight. While taxied-in I started the APU to have Electricity after engine shutdown.After I shut them down...I looked at the PFD and there was that red ATS-OFF warning frame flashing...Question: Is there any way to reset the PFD-display (with the result that this red ATS-OFF warning frame will vanish) so that for the next leg of the flight I have a "clean" PFD for the next crew...? :)Here is the situation:q2ttt7i4.jpgThanks very much! :)

Hi,The reason is because the ATS system was in IDLE CLAMP after landing, and you had not disconnected the ATS by pressing the disconnect switch twice after landing (first to disengage, second to cancel the warning).When you shut the engines down, the ATS system dropped-out as per system failure logic, and flashed RED to warn you of a disconnect.By pressing the ATS disconnect switch on the throttles, you would cancel this message and it would turn YELLOW (to denote ATS is unavailable).Best regards,Robin.

Guest David Ketchum

Susan,To cancel off the red flashing box you describe, go to the throttle popup window in 2D panel and/or the throttle quadrant in the 3D virtual cockpit and press the throttle disconnect button on the side of the throttles. The disconnect button is directly adjacent to the throttle handles on the side facing towards the pilot. Don't get the disconnect button confused with the GOAROUND button on TOP of the throttle quandrant. -Dave Ketchum

Guest Susan27

Thanks very much guys, that finally worked (after some time of searching for the button...lol!) :)Immediately afterwards I had to do an aborted-takeoff...After coming to a complete stop on the RWY I got a Warning message from the SD Engine display saying..."ENG 1, 2 & 3 FADEC ALTN"I really dont know what that message means or what I did wrong here...The problem now is that ATS doesnt work properly any more. At first I thought it could be a malfunction/failure...so I went to the PMDG --> failures menu and clicked on "Clear all failures"...:But no success: The "ENG FADEC ALTN message" is still there and ATS still doenst working...Could someone please explain/give me a hint what happened (or what I did wrong here) & what I can do now (options)...?Thanks again! :)

>just landed with the MD11 after a successful flight. While>taxied-in I started the APU to have Electricity after engine>shutdown.>After I shut them down...I looked at the PFD and there was>that red ATS-OFF warning frame flashing...>Question: Is there any way to reset the PFD-display (with the>result that this red ATS-OFF warning frame will vanish) so>that for the next leg of the flight I have a "clean" PFD for>the next crew...? :)Susan,Good to see you made a successfull flight, sure there will follow more...For these following flights I have a tip for your problem as stated and pictured above:As it is normal practice on this kind of aircraft to select reverse thrust upon landing [F2](just idle reverse or more as you like), McDonallDouglas and also PMDG designed this aircraft in a way to handle normal operation practice with a minimum of extra pilot input.Two cases are possible as I don't know where you disconnected ATS.- If you disconnected before flare, a second push on the disconnect button would have made the box steady white. problem solved.- If you landed with ATS engaged, selecting reverse would disconnect the ATS from retard to off, and back to normal indication when selecting forward idle again.Please try both options in your following flights and see how systems are working.Think your problem in this case was the second push to conferm ATS off.Regards,Harry

Hi,>> Immediately afterwards I had to do an aborted-takeoff...After >> coming to a complete stop on the RWY I got a Warning message from >> the SD Engine display saying...>> >> "ENG 1, 2 & 3 FADEC ALTN"What it means is that the engine control units (FADEC) need switching to ALTERNATE mode.FADEC = Full Authority Digital Engine Control. It is an electronic unit that manages the engine so the engine operates at its optimum at all times (instead of as in the old days where you had mechanical linkages to fuel control valves directly).For some reason all the units failed and needed this mode selecting (unless this memo was already displayed prior to takeoff?).The FADEC select switches are located on the far left hand side of the overhead panel, approx. 2/5th the way up from the bottom. They are guarded switches. Set the required engine control to ALT.Best regards,Robin.

Guest Susan27

Thanks guys! :)>Reset overboost bar and FADEC buttons.>>Harry>>1) But how, Harry? I dont find "Reset" button(s) or so in the vicinity of the FADEC buttons at the lower-left of the overhead-panel...?2) Another "curiosity": After passing 80 knots while take-off the amber FADEC-ALTN display vanishes...and comes back after landing-roll-out when braking below 80 knots again...(?)3) In real life: Is it allowed to take off when those FADEC messages are displayed...?Thanks again!

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

2%
    $715.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now