Sign in to follow this  
744pilot

QFE

Hi,Just made another terrific flight from Hong Kong to Almaty with the WOW. But in Kazachstan they prefer QFE over QNH.And as far as I know QFE (Altitude above Station) should read 0 at the THR for the RWY.In the MD11 it's the same as the QNH. Is this FSX related or did I just discover a bug? Thanks in adv,

HeyQNH and QFE are two different things and you have to calculate the QFE yourself and set the QNH to the calculated QFE for the altimeter to read 0 on touchdown. This is done by keeping in mind that 1Hpa = 27ft. So if the airport elevation is 400ft AMSL, and the QNH is 1018, then you say 400ft divided by 27ft = 14.8hpa. Now because 1018 is higher than the standard 1013Hpa, you have to Minues the 14.8Hpa from the 1018 which would equal 1003.2. So setting the QNH in MD11 to 1003 SHOULD give you an altimeter reading of 0ft when you landEDIT: or did i mis-read your post. Are you saying that the elevation is higher than 0ft and when you set the QNH to the pressure at the airport it reads 0? If thats the case it could be weather related, perhaps the METAR report at the station is reporting the QFE and FSX sets it as such

Ramon,The QFE value is not set automatically. The QNH/QFE switch just toggles the PFD display. You have to set the correct QFE yourself by turning the baro knob until the displayed altitude at the PFD altitude tape becomes 0. Normally you would get the correct setting from the ATC or ATIS.

Michael Frantzeskakis
Precision Manuals Development Group
http://www.precisionmanuals.com

devteam.jpg

Oh, now I get it. It works fine now...It's a nice feature though ;) Just wasn't used to it.Thanks for the quick response guys.