Sign in to follow this  
Guest byoung

Eye Candy, Eye Candy ....Jeeze----------- I get tired o

people who don't think that "eye candy" has anything to do with real flight! Or at least not of importance. Reminds me of the time I was crossing the Atlantic in a B747 looking at icebergs in the area that they found the Titanic a few days later. I was politely asked to close my window to keep sunlight off the screen for the inflight "movie"..............Of course I refused, made a scene (but not too bad), and then packed pillows around my head and the window to block the light! Who cared about "Soldier Blue" compared to what I was seeing!"Eye Candy"------------ IS my purpose for real flight, since I don't do it as a job! It's the reason I love flying real GA aircraft, and always request window seats when flying commercially. I also know many active and retired commercial pilots (thanks to the Experimental Aircraft Association) who buzz around in their small homebuilts to enjoy the world from a "lower" perspective.It's just a few postings on some other topics relating the "eye candy" not being essential to a flightsim, that get's me in this "mood"Long live "Eye Candy" and any FLIGHT SIM that makes it look better! L.Adamson

Eye Candy is essentiel to a Flight sim. When you are flying most of the time your eyes are focusing the ground, scenery, sky , remove this and you will get bored and this will be a crappy sim even if your panel and aircraft system is ultra realistic like some high cost simulator already available.With no Eye Candy you will not have:Great scenery world wideWeatherAirports and Data, navigationAi AircraftEffect increase the realism Atc etc etc..Ms finally start to getting more life in Msfs Series, Like I have said tons of time to them via email, get more Msfs Alive with interaction, Ai aircraft, effect etc..This will get even better in the next version of Msfs.Eye Candy, Eye Candy!ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest SoarPics

"Long live "Eye Candy" and any FLIGHT SIM that makes it look better!"Gets my vote!! :-jumpy

I find really sharp shades of blue in swimming pools very interesting, especially the big olympic sized pool's near some high schools, and also, if you ever fly along I-55 North near Chicago by Midway, you won't miss the massive sewage treatment facility. It's stunning just because it is so massive. Hmm, I also like looking at water tower's, and try to see if any cars on nearby roads look like my own, or someone I know, or even my actual car that has been stolen while I am flying around, that way I can follow it, and get the bad guy! Another fun thing to look at are rivers, lakes, and ponds. Trying to see fish, birds, or someone in a string bikini is always fun. Hmmm, also looking out for hang gliders and other planes, thats always fun. Ya never miss an American Airlines jet, they are nice and shiney, meaning, get in front of me at you become my hood ornament!RAMBLING COMPLETE--------------Paul Meyerwww.KryptonAir.comwww.LAARTCC.org

L:What I have found is that those who have never really flown seem to be obsessed with systems and instruments, as if that is all there is to flight. The VAST majority of pilots are VFR rated and as such spend MOST of the time with their eyes out the window. As a matter of fact that is the reason the majority of people (including myself) became obsessed with flying. EYECANDY!Ask a retired airline pilot what he remembers most from his 15,000 hours of flying and I betcha he / she will reminisce of that spectacular sunset over the North Atlantic, that cold star filled sky over the Polar Routes, the look and smell of the airport on a rainy summer morning, the first time he /she saw the 747 Queen of the skies or the way the sun shimmers off of tiny lakes from 35,000 feet making them appear as shards of liquid glass...I cannot recall one pilot who has reminisced over that beautiful and sexy left EICAS display or the way the switch for the apu bleed valve felt in his hands!!! How about 'dem wonderful vortex generators? Get the idea?For me, the only difference between FLY! and FS2002 is that airport packages from Wilco, Simflyers (THANKS FOR KEWR!!!) set the "mood" and initiates the suspension of disbelief. When one looks into the computer monitor and it mimics the real world airport surroundings in great detail (eyecandy) one can almost smell the jet fuel and the immersion is complete.At this point of course it is now equally as important to sit at the helm of a PIC767 or DF737, sure we expect no less now, but DON'T discount the eye candy. I found that without the eye candy the exquisite cockpits ring hollow...It is the eyecandy that makes MSFS one of the best selling and longest running entertainment titles ever.Mike T.

Don't you just hate it when they tell you to close the window...pull down thingie!I never close it. That's why there is a window..so you can see outside..Why close it?? I think that eye-candy is as important as systems and instruments. A good bablance of both would be good.Take careMike

Guest Paul_W

"Eye candy" is a misnomer in my opinion: to relegate the ultra-realistic ground cover that's been showing up in the preview shots of LOMAC to "eye candy" is hard to fathom. If realism is to be equated with candy, then how does one characterize that sort of fuzzy, stretched, leopard-like texture seen on the sides of the FS 2002 Grand Canyon? That would have to be "real visual nutrition" would it?I take a similar approach to commercial flying by the way. My wife just booked a return flight to Los Angeles that was to depart near sunset. My first reaction was to ask if there was an earlier departure; we don't fly that often and so it would be good to see something of the scenery when we do (and we were able to re-book on an earlier flight as it turned out).

Larry I cant really see the meaning of this post. There is nobody who wouldnt want our world faithfully reproduced to the tiniest detail.Every building, every street every cloud etc in perfect colour.What is the point of this eye candy without structure? what is the point of faithfully reproduced clouds which are sterile without life without air movement, just pure eye candy.The same goes for aircraft there has to be structure.If you create a house you have to build the foundations, the walls to give structure and shape and then you dress it with decorative brickwork, tiles, windows so that the building becomes complete.A sim is no different. You start with the core fundamentals to give the sim structure and then coat it with the eye candy.What has been wroung in the past is when the eye Candy becomes all important and the structure is sacrificed for that eye candy.The very thing we fly in ie the sky was sacrificed for ground eye candy so that we ended up with a sky with no movement and with very limited clouds.The aircraft flight dynamics were set aside, sacrificed for eye candy.The panels and the way they are displayed were set aside for eye candy.We all want ultimate realism eye candy and structure but eye candy without structure is meaningless.Get my point ;-)Peter

I'll clarify....................You said----- "A sim is no different. You start with the core fundamentals to give the sim structure and then coat it with the eye candy."Microsoft did start with a core, only a different way than FLYII as an example. Microsoft's core is a data-base of airports, runways, navigation systems, & topography than can easily be enhanced. These items are all based on real data & not "gamey". Even many roads, rivers, and lakes are included in this "core" for the use in VFR flight. Now, as I've said before.................. let the "third parties" enhance all of our prefered aircraft, systems, and panels. If MS provides the means to farther improve the use of virtual cockpits with working switches, etc,........ then all the better!If MS improves the cloud structure for more realism, then great! But a lot of that structure will be "eye candy". Your own (real)pics of cloud structures are "eye candy", because I'm quite sure you avoid many of those real life clouds. :) L.Adamson

If MS improves the cloud structure for more realism, then great! But a lot of that structure will be "eye candy". Your own (real)pics of cloud structures are "eye candy", because I'm quite sure you avoid many of those real life clouds. L.AdamsonLarryThe structure of the clouds is the dynamics, air movement, temperatures, moisture contents, pressure systems etcThe result of that living dynamic weather is the various cloud types which form because of that interaction.This is just my point of candy without structure as yes you might as well stare at a photograph as your screen.This Candy without structure goes right into the heart of other areas of the sim and this has to be addressed first with the Candy second not the other way around.Peter:-)

Guest GabrielR

BOTH EYE CANDY AND STRUCTURE ARE EQUALLY IMOPORTANT, THEY LIVE ONE WITH THE OTHER. THIS THING IS EVOLVING, THAT TAKES TIME, LOOK AT THE GREAT STEPS THAT HAVE BEEN DONE IN JUST 10 YEARS....THERE'S ALSO A NEED FOR IMAGINATION TOO, THIS IS A SIM, AND IT WILL NEVER BE EXACTLY AS FLYING IN THE REAL WORLD, OF COURSE I'D LIKE TO HAVE LOTS OF IMPROVEMENTS FOR THE NEXT VERSION, JUST AS EVERYBODY, BUT 2 WEEKS AGO, WHEN I LOST MY SYSTEM, AND MY CD'S GOT DAMAGED ALSO, I DECIDED TO INSTALL FS2000, JUST FOR FUN, AND BOY, THERE HAS BEEN A GREAT IMPROVEMENT!!, I HAD ALREADY FORGOTTEN HOW THOSE GHOST TOWNS (AIRPORTS) LOOKED LIKE, THE LACK OF ATC, THE TEXTURES OF THE SCENERY, ETC... IN ORDER TO ADVANCE IN WHAT PEOPLE CALL EYE CANDY, THERE HAS TO BE AN IMPROVEMENT OF THE CORE STRUCTURE TOO, THIS IS NOT LIKE SOMEBODY SAID, "LET'S PUT THOSE AI THERE, SO THE AIRPORT CAN LOOK BETTER" NO! LOOK AT THE STRUCTURE BEHIND THAT!! THIS AND THE AUTOGEN, AND THE MESH INFORMATION, NAVAIDS, REFLECTIVE TEXTURES, DIFERENTIAL BRAKING, ATC, THAT WICH I LOOK AS IMPROVEMENT FOR BOTH CORE STRUCTURE AND EYE CANDY, ARE BULKDING THE PATH FOR THE NEXT GENERAION OF SIMMING SOFTWARE, BUT ONE STEP AT A TIME, THAT'S HOW I TAKE IT.

Guest Rob

I couldn't live without eye-candy! Also I can understand your frustration at being asked to close your blind during the flight, can you say what airline? :D.I agree - any Flight Sim that builds on eye-candy is a good one!

"THERE HAS BEEN A GREAT IMPROVEMENT!!, I HAD ALREADY FORGOTTEN HOW THOSE GHOST TOWNS (AIRPORTS) LOOKED LIKE, THE LACK OF ATC, THE TEXTURES OF THE SCENERY, ETC... "Yeah Microsoft did it, but as we saw, there had to be competition which is gone. Unfortunately!Rodger :-beerchug P.S.: I like eycandy too.........