Sign in to follow this  
ChuckB

Real 767 question

I subscribe to a couple of real-world aviation newsgroups and a 767 question came up recently that I was interested in finding the answer to also. I figured this was about the best place that I know of to post a question like this so here goes. The gentleman said that he had noticed underneath the fuselage at the back is a small flap, just forward of the tail. He also said that it appeared to have some sort of 'ram' to open and close it and he has always seen it open while the aircraft is on the ground. Now, I am by no means a 767 expert, but I am pretty sure that the APU inlet is on the top of the fuselage on the right side, back by the tail. I have no idea what this guy is asking about though, so if anyone can give me a good answer, I'd really appreciate it.Thanks!ChuckAthlon XP 2800+ | ASUS A7N8X Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR PC2700 | WD 60 gig HDD | WD 40 gig HDDTwin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB PedalsNostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest Muppet22

I am by no means an expert on the 767, but come into close contact with them (Air Canada variety) on a daily basis as part of my job.Sounds like it may very well be something to do with the toilets, the 'exit hole' if you like, for the waste produced during the course of a flight.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I too thought that this could possibly be it, but someone also pointed out on the newsgroup that he could be mistaking the tail skid for an inlet door. I've never really seen a tail skid on a 767 close up, but it's another possibility to consider too, I guess. Anyway, thanks for the response :)ChuckAthlon XP 2800+ | ASUS A7N8X Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR PC2700 | WD 60 gig HDD | WD 40 gig HDDTwin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB PedalsNostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Pete and Daryl, I completely agree, that has to be what he is seeing. I'll pass it on. Thanks much!ChuckAthlon XP 2800+ | ASUS A7N8X Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR PC2700 | WD 60 gig HDD | WD 40 gig HDDTwin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB PedalsNostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

"Sounds like it may very well be something to do with the toilets, the 'exit hole' if you like, for the waste produced during the course of a flight."Just to clarify... No toilet bowl waste is dumped (intentionally) in the air. This is done on the ground. Only handbasin water is dumped in flight.... and perhaps excess fluids (coffee, tea, water) dumped into the sinks in the galleys.The only "flaps" on the empenage would be the APU inlet door, the pressurization outflow valve and the Tail Skid. The pressurization outflow valve does not have a ram. The APU door has a ram, but it would be difficult to see from the ground.Toilet servicing is carried out via a panel further forward underneath the aircraft tail (slightly aft of the small bulk cargo door on the left hand side of the fuselage).Hope this helps.Cheers.Ian.

Guest alcornl

What you are refering to is the tall skid. It is there in case of an over rotation, when the tail hits the runway, that "flap" will hit first and the piston will absorb as much of the shock as it can. It is mainly there to help from damaging the skin and structure of the tail. Those can also be found on the 727's, 757 300 and i'm pretty sure the 777's as well.