Sign in to follow this  

Freeware / Commercial Software distinction

Dear Avsim staff,As a regular visitor of your excelent site, I have one request - question;In the main page where all the news are listed, I would love to see a clear distinction between freeware and commercial related postings. Something like a little icon at the begining of each paragraph; or any other method you choose.In my opinion, both sides are equally important and the one helps the other. But people that make stuff and share it for free, deserve at least a clear distinction from the rest... after all we live in a overcommercialized world and we are getting a bit tired of it.This is said with all respect to people that want to be paid for what they make. Plus I feel that a lot them ask a lot less from what their products are really worth (of course, soetimes, this goes the other way too).I would like to see some others's opinions on the subject.Yours, friendlyGeorge Georgiou

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi George,imo this sounds like a reasonable idea though i think a neutrally (light gray ) coloured background for one category of the posts would make it more visible.my 2 cntsDirk

Hello George,I must admit I like your idea, even it means yet more work for us poor editors (sometimes it is not easy to figure out if something is freeware or payware, one might even have to actually download the software and unpack it to find out..... which is why you are asking it of course ;-) )Dirk, I just checked, colored background is not possible I'm afraid. The software has no capability of doing that.1 vote 'for', who's next ? :-) :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

I agree 100 percent and would like to add another irritating and time consuming thing. There should also be info re downloads so you know what you are going to end up with. Example : You download what appears to be a beautiful panel, which may take over a half an hour only to find out that you have to have some payware product or FS2000 guages, etc., for the download to work. It would save us all (and your servers) a lot of time.

I have a suggestion... go on a campaign to convince add-on authors to provide us that information. We can only tell you what they tell us. If they provide us the details in the text files that they are required to upload with their files, we're happy to pass it along. Otherwise, we are as much in the dark as you are.