Sign in to follow this  
brucek

VATSIM "test" area for newbies?

I'm about to try the VATSIM network, having never tried it before. Is there a "test" area where new rookies can go talk to controllers and others, without making a big mistake and causing other serious sim pilots and controllers a lot of grief?Thanks. I talk to ATC in real life every other weekend when I fly, so I feel a little strange being "intimidated" by doing so in the virtual world :)Bruce.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Bruce,There is no longer a designated "practice area" that I am aware of. Since you already have real world experience, I wouldn't worry about it anyway. You can almost always find an area with an active controller and light traffic. Put a comment like "New pilot", or something along those lines in the comments area of your flight plan and that will give the controller a heads up that you may need a little help with some of the technical aspects of flying on VATSIM. New pilots with a desire to learn are not annoying to controllers! We are more than willing to help you have an enjoyable experience.Mike BromleyBoston ARTCCSenior Controller

Hi Bruce;No need to feel intimidated! We are all here to enjoy ourselves anddon't forget "ATC is a service to pilots" (think all controllers should repeat that mantra every day).As Mike mentioned, until you are really comfortable with systemissues, glitches and malfunctions etc it's not a bad idea to put "/New" in your Remarks section.Hope to see you soon in a hop down to KABQ or KPHX.Blayne M.

Thanks Jim.Some good information, indicative I'm sure of the helpfulness that's at VATSIM.Bruce.