Sign in to follow this  

I Want to learn to fly the heavies through "real approa

I've been an avid simmer for 20+ years and have spent most of my time with combat sims such as IL-2 (BTW, if you haven't tried this sim, you owe it to yourself to give it a whirl). At any rate, I occasionally like the change of flying and enjoy recreating the "feel" of a GA or commercial flight flown by way of charts etc... Trouble is, my knowledge of the ILS approaches is quite limited, especially when flying a "heavy".Ideally, a book specifically designed with FS2002 in mind with a suggested plane (pay or freeware) along with some verbage and some real charts would be perfect; essentially, what came as the tutorial but much more in depth and something I can "hold in my hand". An example in the book might be like this..."Today's flight takes you from airport x to airport y. Here is the suggested flight plan that references these maps and approch plates...etc"Anyone have any suggestions?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

20+ years is a long time.. :-)If you want to learn how to land heavies, and fly them properly, take a look at flightsim.com, they have a nice bunch of tutorials online on ILS approaches and so.We at PSS have also free manuals and tutorial flights, where the whole procedures are been explained.Take a look and try some.Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]Unofficial PSS website:www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johdMy help may not me much usefull, or usefull much..eh?http://people.zeelandnet.nl/johd/index2/Ar...s/Leg1/klm5.jpgTrue Blue! K L M!

Is it the "heavy" or "ILS" that you feel you don't know ? If you can fly ILS in a small GA aircraft - the principles of flying the same ILS in a "heavy" are very similar. Any why just ILS ? What about the whole spectrum of IFR flying - VOR/DME, NDB, SIDs, STARs, etc. Maybe some solid book on IFR would be a good first reading. Tutorials are good but they put you in a straight-jacket - without understanding the whole picture you don't know where you can "bend" the rules. It all rests on the premise you want to do it right. If you want the quickest way to get flying then tutorials might be just enough.For ultimate "heavy" experience in FS2002 you might try a product called 767PIC - but it comes with 2 thick manuals and will take you weeks to sort through it.Michael J.

Both: Heavies and STARS, ILS, etc... I've thought heavily about the PIC product although I'm waiting for someone to make a GMAX version of something similar and better equipped for FS2002. I'm hoping the 727 offering from Captain Sims coming later this year will have "2 big manuals"... This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

There is a 737 product coupled with a videotape that takes you through an entire sim flight from London to Tennerife (I think), as flown by real pilots (I think) goin through all procedures, switches etc. Reviwed were excellent. There is a review here at Avsim--check out reviws section.