Sign in to follow this  

New throttle unit in progress..Pictures

Hi everyone,I redid my existing throttle unit to look and feel a lot more like a real one.It is not yet finished but i have been spending the entire weekend working on it.Right now i have decided to use sheet metal to cover it.One of my problems was creating resistence when powering up and i ended up using weather stripping insulation to add drag when moving the levers forward/back.Works excellent!My flap lever is operated by pulling up and forward/back to flap lever choice.So far so good...I am trying to spread out the detents for each flap settinginstead of having them so close together.Any ideas welcome.RegardsJames

Guest MikePowell

Looks nice, James. Thanks for posting the pictures.Mikewww.mikesflightdeck.com

Very nice work! What kind of material are the main throttle levers white handles made of? I do not really understand your flap detent question well. It seems that you have already created a range and distance between the detents for it with the piece of plastic you used. If this piece of plastic is not part of the final construction, then your problem is probably the potmeter range. the most common ones are of 270

Hi James, this is incredibility looking trottle quadrant you got here! I'm about to start working on it soon, as for now I am doing "blue print" and I would need to know the actual dimension before doing it. I've seen you've already measured the real quadrant based on picture from your webpage:WIDTH-- 26cm/10.24inches (Converted to U.S.) LENGTH-- (approxmately) 23 to 25 centimeter/9 to 9.8 inches HEIGHT-- 10cm/3.93inchesMaybe you can help me out find the precise dimension of quadrant's length. Anyway, I am focusing on 767-400's verson which is much entirely different from 767-300's verison. Would the dimension come in same for both version? The paint you re using-boeing brown... I've tried to find the specific type of spray paint that would come in to match with boeing brown, speaking of the panel. Any idea which color of spray can I could find at any hardware stores? Let me know with all of those detals. Much appreciated...

As for what i used for the handles...a wooden dowel formed to fit my fingers comfortably.I used a grinding wheel to grind out the indent as i rotated it.Then paint.As for my indent question for my flaps what i want to do is spread them out from each other if at all possible.They are to close together.I wondered if FSUIPC would be able to adjust this.I am using a 100k tapered linear pot 270 degree.What does the "minimum" refer to in FSUIPC when adjusting/setting flaps?Regards, Thankyou on the complimentJames

Looks like a 75/76 to me.....Great work!I'm not sure how you designed yours, but you can create a great deal of tension on the speed brake handle and throttles by using a long bolt, slip washers, and gears. Below you can see how we designed ours. Again, nice job and thanks for sharing with us.Michael

JAMES, I am VERY impressed. Keep up the good work! and thanks for sharing your project with us.

Hi James,Excellent work! Thanks for posting pictures. I just recently got my Dremel back from the service center, so I'll be soon resuming work on my 727 replica quadrant.I'm curious as to how many degrees of travel you currently have for your flap lever, how many degrees from flaps up to full flaps? And how many degrees of travel is there for the real one? As mentioned, & the way I'm going about it, is using gears. On mine, it's roughly 90 degrees. On the real one, the detent positions aren't that far apart anyway.Mike A.

Well i have to be honest with you ,but i pretty much "winged it" on biulding it.I did not have the actual demensions except with how much room i had to work with on my console and where its located.Try this website for some excellent info and pictures.http://www.meriweather.com/I think you might find what your looking for.As for the paint, i would have my paint mixed to match what i need.At The Home Depot, Lowes, or any good hardware/paint store.I rolled my paint on with a low nap roller and it came out excellent,plus its not as messy.I hope I helped somewhat..RegardsJames

Thankyou Matt for the compliment,I will post a new picture when its fully covered and painted.But ..that aluminum looks so good....eh,will be painted soon.I have been following your project..it looks fantastic!Its to bad were not neighbors..:)RegardsJames

Hi Mike,That seems to be my problem..right now my travel is "to short" and i end up going through all 6 flap settings within 10" of travel. arrgghh!I saw a response on another post that i did and he suggestedadjusting the sensitivity in FS2002.I have yet to try that first and if it fails..i will try a rotory pot with 10k resisters.Im not sure of the real degree of travel..but i didnt go through building this lever to fly through like it is now.I would have stayedusing my CH THROTTLE on my yoke if i had!RegardsJames :)!

Thanks Mike,I like your gear system idea..would you be able to recemend the location of where you got yours?,gear type that would fit a pot?Thankyou! Great ideas come from great minds.RegardsJames

Flap question:how did you made the sliding feature?I was thinking about aluminum profilates (don't think this is their name in english... anyway ,those bars made by extrusion, so that they are empty and have only the edges...), but since they are sold in 10x10mm or 15x15mm there is too much space, and the assembly is not solid.How did you solve it?ThanksClaudio

Hi Claudio,Im not sure what your asking..but if it pertaines to the flap handle shaft,it is a flat piece of 3/4"wide aluminum held into the 3/4" aluminum channel(3 sided channel) by the bolt pertruding through the elongated slot.It is then spring loaded so when i pull up and over to my flap setting and release, the spring pulls the flat aluminum back down.The bolt with washers holds the flat shaft against the inside of the channel.Is that what you wanted to know?I hope this helps..if not please explain further...RegardsJames

Hi James,As a follow-up to Claudio's post, if you have one and/or if it's convenient, could you post a picture that shows the starboard side of your flap lever? Thanks!Mike A.