Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matt Johnson

Stolen textures

I put clear lables on my textures to say no modification No copying at all files are encoded .yet in the library today my files are posted without my permissionFS2002 Aircraft Pan Am Gmax Boeing 727-221 Bejae Taylor 286k 6 06-Sep-2002 This is My work it is stolen from me and it is really anoying ,Just because someone is to lazy to do it themselves I am really anoyed about this and am not going to bother if people are going to just steal peoples work .

That's horrible when people do this. :(Some people can't repaint so they steal others hard work. They need to get a life.

well maby he can not read so that is ok then or he did not know it was wrongI made the doors,windows letters even the lines it is all encoded and it can not be erased like this person tried to doand he has no regard for international copyright so why do we even bother

Anniette,I have same problem frequently. I find there are two types of people who do this. Those that do it innocently, and appear to truely not be aware that what they did is wrong. And the ones that do it deliberatly and don't care if its wrong or not. In this case, given your documentsation, I think we can eliminate this person from the first list. Just let the Avsim folks know, the pilfered files will disappear.Mike Stone

I'm really sorry you are upset by this.... I have had simillar experiences, with.. er.. other things. Did you contact him.. what did he say?.... also.. when someone steels from me, which is very rare these days. I take it as a great compliment.... and in answer to "why do we even bother".... You do it because you can, because your great and everyone knows it.I'm sure this guy is feeling rather sheepish now he has been caught.:-)Pete

Pete I really apreciate what you are saying and thank you but I have No wish to contact this person and i take this as a insult not a compliment ,If somebody walk in my house and take my chair I do not feel well at least he admires my taste in funiture,I want to shoot him ,I know many people say to me can i use your texture of a certain paint for something and i have nearly alwways agreed to this under a few condition ,but to take without asking is really wrong and although I am not as angry as i was ,I feel still real bad and will be better after taking certain action if it is a European site .Pan Am VA http://uk.geocities.com/panamwings is his website advertised on the readme file

Guest Heather 636

I don't blame you for being upset Anniette. I'd be mad as blazes too; especially when all somebody has to do with me is a polite request and most often I would be honored that somebody liked my stuff well enough to want to use it. But to just take it . . .dishonorable!!By the way, you must show me sometime how to encode your ID on there like you do. Sincerest regards,Heather

This is the reason we have so few freeware artists making really neat stuff available. It's not the criticism that follows the publication of a freeware product that scares freeware authors away. It's the accusations that some well meaning fellow who wanted to contribute to the flightsim community is now called a Thief. If someone walks into my living room and breaths some of my air, I don't give a rip. It's just some paint drawn on a bmp. Geez!!!!!!!! If you don't want someone using your stuff, don't publish it. Just keep it to yourself. If your ego has got a problem with someone who didn't give you proper credit, email him privately. Don't smear his name all over these forums. How do I know that the one making the accusations had proper title in the first place?? You can probably tell that I don't like reading this kind of stuff. It just does more harm. Contact the alleged offender personally via email. IMHO!

How is it considered stolen but when someone uses photoreal textures for either a panel or an aircraft it's not considered stealing from the airline or manufacturer? I don't condone the example you showed but there is a double standard in this hobby. Then you have the so called copyright police in our hobby that don't seem to realise that every airline logo on the planet is copyrighted including the livery. It's ok for them to copy the designers work of the livery but it isn't ok for somebody to copy theirs. This hobby use to be so much more enjoyable when people could enjoy using MSFS and enjoy talking about it in forums. Now it isn't much fun. Somebodies stealing something, or slamming someone or packing up the toys and going home. I wish someday we can just go back to the basics of enjoying MSFS and aviation in general instead of all the bickering.Jeff

It's just some paint drawn on a >bmp. Geez!!!!!!!! If you don't want someone using your >stuff, don't publish it. Just keep it to yourself. If your >ego has got a problem with someone who didn't give you >proper credit, email him privately. >Don't smear his name all over these forums. How do I know >that the one making the accusations had proper title in the >first place?? :-roll Matt

Gee, that's an interesting perspective!So you think that it is okay for someone to take somebody elses work, even though there are all kinds of restrictions plastered all over it, change a couple of pixels and claim it as their own original work?It may be just some paint to you, but it is a lot of work to the original artist.It is actually people like you, who drive away the freeway artists. People who don't give a rip for others' work. Why should anyone spend hours upon hours doing something, only to watch somebody else take their work and take the credit? Pete S

This is such a difficult situation. Yes.. sadly I agree with much that has been said here.. however, when its your stuff thats being used without your permission then its a different story.I write music and have many bits and bobs out there in the world. Its all copyrighted and highly protected and monitored. But sometimes things slip through the net which is terrible, especially when you find out later..... well.... My primary motivation is, of course money. second is simply to see MY stuff being used... (he says, gazing into the distance with a look of pride illuminating his face)A question then, for all freeware designers... what is your motivation.. it's obviously not money, cos its free... Power, Glory, recognition, or just the Joy knowing that many people have a better simming experience because of your work.... ?????be excellent to each other:-)Pete

Guest Heather 636

You know, I have to concede that some of you gentlemen made a good point on the opposite side of the coin. Prime example, the Vargas girl on the side of my DC-3 repaint, the cartoon characters on one of my Duck repaints. No, I didn't get the author's permission because he's dead. Of course I'm certain that somebody, or some corporation somewhere holds the rights.And maybe, after all, it is just textures in a bitmap image, but that paint also represents a LOT of hours of labor in most cases. Sure, it's a hobby and most of the time done for the pleasure of it, but labor nonetheless.I sure don't want anybody mad at me though because I may not have been able to find them to ask permission, which I always try to do first.I guess I'll play it safe and go back to just flying and to hell with the rest. I haven't got in much of that lately anyway. This bickering just isn't worth it.Adios!Heather