Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Hey! This sucks - Windows XP limits my undocking capabi

I just migrated to a new DELL 8200 with Windows XP. I just loaded a PSS 747-400 for the first time, and found that in full screen mode, I could not UNDOCK anything at all. I have to be in a Windows mode to undock. This stinks! On my older DELL P3 with Windows 98, I flew constantly in full screen and could dock and undock at will.What am I missing or is am I locked into this rubbish with XP?Appreciate posts, thanks!JS

I also use Windows XP, but have no problem undocking in full screen mode. For me it's a simple matter of right clicking on whatever I want to undock to bring up a menu of choices (usually at least undock and close), and then selecting "undock". This allows me to move the gps, or radio stack, or alternate views to another monitor. I do remember the first time I ever tried, that somehow I convinced myself that it only worked in windowed mode. Soon after I discovered that I was wrong. Seeing how simple it is now, though, I don't remember what gave me the impression it didn't work in full screen mode. Perhaps it was because I was only using the "Alt" key to undock, and didn't realize I could right click. Regardless, I hope this helps. I suspect whatever your difficulty, it's not a function of windows XP, but rather something that's different about the default settings on your new installation. Then again, computers are certainly finiky, so maybe I just got lucky :)Jesse

Jesse:I am in the sim now. In full screen mode..I right click and the only option is CLOSE WINDOW. The Undock Window option and Hide Menu Bar options are greyed out and non clickable.I wondered if I got lucky with this nonsense with Windows 98. Maybe XP is paying me back!Any ideas?JS

Hmmm, that's odd indeed. What video card and drivers were you using before, and what are you using now? I use an nvidia geforce4 ti4600, as well as a geforce 3 in another box, with the 40.something detonator drivers on both.Perhaps you could try checking the display settings from within FS2002 and see if more than one display driver is avialable to use? Or try unchecking hardware acceleration, load a scenario, and then check it again?I still suspect that it's not a windows XP issue, but rather something to do with the new hardware/drivers in your new box, but I'm just guessing (hard to imagine it being an operating system issue, as many people are using XP and not having that particular problem).

HiIt sounds like you have the wrong Video card selected. In FS2002 hardware settings it gives a list of avalible video cards, you must select the one that is your primary card. In the list you may have something like this, dependent on what you have installed:nVidia Geforce 33dfx Voodoo 3Primary Video AdapterIf the one called primary video adapter is selected you may not be able to undock, select the one that actually is your main card. You should now be able to undock.I personaly run three monitors on Windows XP Pro and can undock in fullscreen mode perfectly.I hope this is of some help?Simon.

Thunderchief:I understand your point because that is my video card setup on the old P3. But on the new P4, I have a new GeForce4 Ti-4600 only at this time with nVidia 30.82 drivers that I loaded and which work great. Only the GeForce4 Ti card is listed in the Settings/Display/Hardware window; there is no other option to click or assign.In the FS2002 HELP menu, it does say that undocking is only available in Windows mode. This I can do. But I was able to undock on the old P3 in Full Screen mode all the time. I think that some others were not able to do so. It may be that I am stuck with this in XP, I do not know.I appreciate your further thoughts or anybody else feel free to jump in.Thanks!JS

Does you Dell 8200 have WinXP SP1 installed. I didn't check this feature, since I don't use it often, before I updated to WinXP SP1. I checked it after reading your post and it doesn't allow you to undock in full screen mode.

Hooray! It's fixed. How? Don't ask me! But I suddenly decided to add a 2nd monitor since the Ti-4600 has nView which supports dual mons and presto! after configuring nView, I can now undock in any screen mode. This nVidia stuff is simply amazing. I love it!This is a relief.JS

I checked a Win98SE version using FS2002 and it doesn't allow undocking in full screen mode either.Since you are using two monitors via a dual headed card, does pressing ALT+Enter place both monitors in full screen mode. How are you undocking the windows or are you just dragging the window to the second monitor? Are you in the 2D or 3D cockpit mode?

Hi, wsiefert:I never used Windows98SE; I only ever used the original plain vanilla Windows 98 and was always able to undock in full screen mode.I have to check more thoroughly, but it seems that whatever I do to the primary monitor gets done on the secondary one too. I tried to change the res on the second one independently of the first and it did not work; it merely imported FS2002 into the second monitor.I shall review further about undocking, screen management, etc., and report back shortly.JS

FYI,I am also using two monitors with the TI4600, and the latest drivers (40.41 from NVidia's site) significantly improve support for 2 monitors, allowing for independent changes, such as resolution, refresh rate, position, etc. You may find them helpful with fs2002; I certainly do.Glad to hear it's finally working for you to undock!Jesse

Jesse:Are the 40.** drivers still BETA format? I was going to d/l them but was a bit leery about them at this stage. Are they stable and reliable?JS

Yes, they are in beta, but they're straight off the nvidia page, and not a *leaked* driver. I've had no difficulties whatsoever with stability, and all features have worked as advertised (except for the agp settings, etc which are intended only for those with nForce motherboards, as I understand it, which I don't have). My multi-monitor situation makes a lot more sense with these drivers than previous, as I can basically get them to function how I want without lots of experimenting.Jesse

Jesse,and the latest drivers (40.41 from NVidia's site) significantly improve support for 2 monitors, allowing for independent changes, such as resolution, refresh rate, position, etc.With respect, Windows itself has always allowed for independent resolutions, different colour depths and refresh rates. I've been using multi-monitors for 4 years now.Refresh rates are limited by graphics card and monitor anyway.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather