Sign in to follow this  
Guest Muppet22

Can anyone explain this?

HiSee attached screenshot.Of late I get an annoying 'boundary' between where textures appear normalish and where they appear completely blurry. On the screenshot, 'south' of the red line indicates the normalish area.I can't work out why it has gone like this? Anyone got any tricks/tips/tweaks etc that I can maybe try?Card is a GF4Ti4400 using 40.71 drivers (same effect with all the 40 series of drivers).EDIT - other system specs are XP1900 & 512mb DDRThanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Tom,are you using landclass files in that area? They sometimes take a bit longer to load. Also, do you have 'extended terrain textures' enabled in the display settings?Cheers,Gosta.

There is a simple reason for that. Your are flying a plane that is too fast, at too high altitudes, with too high graphics settings on a computer that is simply too slow to load the textures fast enough. Even the so called normalish area is very low res. It is the widely feared blurried texture problem on a very extreme scale.Alex

Hi,Try reducing the frame rate. That gives the processor more time to load scenery textures instead of spending all of its time trying to give you the highest possible frame rate. I have a Athlon 2000XP / GeForce4 Ti4600, 512Mb PC2100 memory and limit the frame rate to 19. I don't see that happen very often at all.Cheers,

Also, enable Terrain Extended Textures if it's not enabled. That's what happened to me when I turned it off.

Well, I think that a Ti4400 wouldn't cause that, try your terrain settings and your frame rate lock.Greg_________________________ "Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return"-Leonardo Da Vinci

"It is the widely feared blurried texture problem on a very extreme scale."Bluried textures? I don't think so, as there are no textures displayed outside his red line.I believe this is a problem where the Extended Textures do not appear.However I don't know why it happens, assuming Extended Textures are enabled by the user.Stamatis

Yes Stamatis of course. But it is the same problem. First the highres textures are not loaded, only low res. If the system cannot keep up, it will load the extended textures and finally none at all. So it is the blurried texture problem in its last stage.Alex

Speaking of the Extended Textures, has anyone ascertained their visual range? Because they do not load out to... infinity, that's for sure :-)My personal estimate is that they do not load further out than 80 miles away from our aircraft location.Stamatis

Certainly looks that way - surprised no-one has suggested that he pause the sim and see if it catches up !!

Alex,One other thing I forgot to ask:"Even the so called normalish area is very low res."How can you tell that? I am afraid that this is how my terrain looks like from FL350 or there about. I must be missing the high resolution textures too, and never knew it?Stamatis

I don't think you'll see much texture difference if running at least 30 fps with your system. I don't, and prefer higher fps when possible. I've tried 16-20 fps, and don't find it fluid enough for low level flight.L.AdamsonAthlon 1900XPGeforce3Ti500512DDRram

My own experience agrees with your's Larry. Locking the frame rates to a low/lower number had absolutely no effect in the appearance of the land textures.I also agree that I notice a difference in fluidity when increasing frame rates up to the mid thirties.Stamatis

Hi Larry,You're right inasmuch as it doesn't help for fluidity but it can help when loading complex 3rd party scenery. I shall experiment with the limiter as I know my system will run a lot faster than 19fps.I just thought it might help with that chap's problem.Cheers,

Hi guysRight!I'm not using any Landclass stuff - all MS's original stuff.Frame rates were locked to 19 beforehand (I've always done that).Extended scenery textures are enabled.Must be some bottleneck there somewhere. Mmmmm....

Yeah, I haven't seen an answer here that has helped me yet with this problem although my scenery seems to take longer and longer to load, now it just comes in in squares like yours. All of the above suggestions sound good, but they have never really solved the problem with me either...I hope you find a solution ;-) Me too ;-)

I have a more simple suggestion....Rename FS2002.cfg to FS2002.bakStart FS2002, let it rebuild the .cfg file, then see how it performs (you might have to recheck extended textures if it's not rechecked already).I know some third-party aircraft can cause texture sluggishness.... But what you show in your shot is more likely some problem in the .cfg. As for your system not being able to keep up, it's a heck of a lot faster than mine (p3-800) and I leave my fps maxed at 25. Only time I've seen something like your shot is when some app is running in the background, or I've task-switched out of FS2002 for a while.If my above suggestion doesn't work, delete fs2002.cfg and rename the old one....and hopefully someone else will come along and offer a better suggestion.-John

Tom says "OF LATE, I HAVE BEEN GETTING A LINE"Was this problem there before and when did it exactly start?Jinesh.

It started about 2 weeks ago, and the first time I've encountered blurriness on such an extreme scale :-)

Yea, I have gotten this over the last few weeks as well. It sucks. I have a P IV 2.0ghz with 512MB RAM and a GeForce Ti4600 128MB card on Win XP Home and I get those squares as well. Wish someone had a solution. I am gonna try to rename the cfg file and see what that does.

Stamatis,especially at this altitude the textures near to the plane are very crisp and sharp, or should I say should be. If they are not the system does not keep up. But I only found out about this after I upgraded to a GF4Ti4600. Honestly, even with my system, if you want to enjoy FS2002 at its nicest graphics quality you have to get in a slow plane and fly around 7000 to 15000 feet. At least if you have all that stuff running in the background and fly those sophisticated 3rd party payware planes.Alex

"especially at this altitude the textures near to the plane are very crisp and sharp, or should I say should be."Ah, I see what you mean. And I also see why I haven't noticed what you are saying. The explanation is very simple: If you have setup your panel.cfg to provide a realistic perspective of the Cockpit View, then at FL350 you only start to see the ground ahead of you at a distance which is around 20 nm ahead of you aircraft position. Pure trigonometry will tell you why this is so. Hence, no wonder I don't get to see these crisp textures you are talking about. They are there underneath me, but to see them I have to bend forward and look down from my seat :-)Stamatis

I have a suspicion it maybe the 40.XX series of drivers.Just off to try the 30.30 series and will report back!

Same result with the 30 series.Tried all sorts of things with the new 40.72's new out today, but still same as you can see on the screenshot - jeez this bugs me!