Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Brown

The AVSIM file Library and payware/shareware??????

Don't want to start anything, but curiousity has killed the cat. Are people that upload payware/shareware files to AVSIMs library getting a free ride or do they pay some type of fee????Don't care one way or another, as said above the cat's dead...Though if it is a free ride, maybe a couple buck upload fee per file might, put a smile on the faces of the guys paying for all the great services here. Don't really make any sence for someone to make money off AVSIMs back.(I also realize that these developers are not going to become the next Bill Gates off these uploads either).

:-outta

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown
"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Why should I pay AVSIM to give away my hard work?How about Avsim pay US for our free files? We do the work they get the glory. Who would actually come here if there was nothing to download? Better yet, how about the downloaders of the free files pay both of us (AVSIM and the developers)?I gain nothing from my files that (were) on Avsim except an ego boost from seeing my work online. Why should I have to pay to give away my work? This is one of the reasons I have pulled my aircraft off of AVSIM. They refused to post my updates and their forum policies and rigid at best. (I'll be floored if I see this show up on their site). David Eckertwww.daviator.com

Well, I guess you will be floored.To answer the original question, we don't allow payware that is masguerading as shareware or freeware. That file was removed, and the author warned.As for your rant Dave, I hope you feel better. Of course, it has absolutely nothing to do with the original post and your response takes it totally out of context. Yours were freeware, and this subject has to do with payware. Sorry you have a problem with our forums policies. 8,000 others seem to love 'em.

While it might be true that at first I was drawn to Avsim for files (as I was to Flight Sim.com) I do not even bother to go into the Library but am strictly here on the forums. I think Tom and others do a wonderful job here, and believe me, I have to deal with the best that Avsim has to offer'....... [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/196432/winglets_lg.jpg

Amen to that - except I use the library atleast 4 times a week (grin).Remember though the library iIs a privilege not a right. It provides authors an easy central distrubtion point, and having or not having a file is of really no consequence to AVSIM, it just means more bandwidth used! (I can't believe how much is used already hehe).