Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paul Middleton

Ranking method in Avsim reviews

Having been here for so many years it just dawned on me (while reading C152 review) that you employ rather controversial ranking system when you review products. The controversial part is that someone who is a casual quick reader of this site may get skewed idea about quality of the product simply because two almost identical products may end up differing by more than a star only based on the sequence of their release.Consider Mr.A.B. making the very first C152 and getting 4.5. Then a year later Mr.C.D. makes another Cessan 152 but being just slightly inferior (say 4.3) to the first one it can't even be awarded 4 stars since it doesn't "exceed" current standard. It ends up being awarded 3.5 stars. Now if C.D releases his C152 ahead of A.B that would change the outcome of the reviews considerably. In other words timing an knowledge what preceeded this product plays key role in the ranking system. This might be very confusing to someone who is either a newcomer or reads your reviews infrequently.One simple fix comes to mind - reference prior products that played role in your review. That would actually provide some key information missing from your current reviews - reader would get idea what this product might be lacking that other similar products had before - in essense it would allow reader to understand current scale and where for example "5" might be located. Right now the situation is a bit paradoxical - a product gets say 3.5 and the reviewer finds practically no fault with it yet you are left with some nagging feeling that clearly this product in some way falls short of the present ultimate standard and you wonder what this standard might be. Or you can even be more explicit and under "what I don't like" state why this particular product is missing. Either way the review should be structured that it should be self-contained and either provide the whole information or reference relevant historical documents.Michael J.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In the absence of more senior reviewing staff at vacation time I'll pick this one up, although it was triggered by one of my own reviews!Your understanding of the system is correct; over time, last year's innovative product becomes this year's norm. I take your point that we may not be explaining this clearly enough. Certainly AVSIM reviews look the "toughest" ones to be published. Readers should be happy to buy anything that had an AVSIM score of 3 or more; 4's and 5's indicate something that's quite leading edge; only 2's and 1's should give pause for thought.Your suggestion about quoting the current standard, where appropriate, is well made, and one that I will put forward to my colleagues.