Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Slightly OT, but a strange sight s/sounds indeed!

Missed my direct (real) delta flight from Oakland Ca to Atlanta thismorning due to business, so wound up taking a United flight viaKORD to Atlanta in the afternoon. Just got home (literally.)During the KOAK-KORD hop, I was listening to Channel 9 on UALwhich allows you to hear the pilots talk to ATC in all its flavors(clearance, ground, approach, centers, etc.) During which time,this Learjet is on and is talking to Minneapolis center...andasks for clearance to DECEND to FL430. Thats pretty darn highfor a learjet is it not? Mebbe, I just dont sim with those thingsvery much. Seems like I did hear a couple of Citations on the KORD-KATL run ask Memphis Center for clearance up to FL410, which seemed high but normal. I do seem to remember that Learjets could get on up there.Also, the strange sight...Taxiing up to the gate at KORD, I look out the UAL plane window (A319) and there amongst the big international birds (Lot Polish B767, BA744, Aer Lingus A330) is an Aer Lingus B737-400!!! Definitely NOT an 800 as it didnt have two emergency doors over the wings like the 800's do and wasnt that long. Sizewise, looked pretty much exactly like a 400.Pretty far away from home wouldnt you say? This wasnt at the maintenance base, this plane was lined up in the flight line at a gate. Didnt see any baggage carts or anything, just amongst the regular flight line birds. What could that be?Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest roderic757

Hey guy....I work for united...and to let you know about the aer lingus aircraft, it is being used by Apple Vacations right now on lease. And yes most corporate jets can go that high...for fuel efficiency and for long range travel. Roderic

Saw a program on the lifes of corporate pilots. One of the things the pilots like with the Lears, Citations, etc. was the ability to get out of the airliner main stream above fl400 level. From what I understood, they got there pretty quickly.