Sign in to follow this  
Guest SD Sim

More Real versus Sim & the blurries

Posted these as a reply at Flightsim.com. But they do once again demonstrate that "real life" has blurry textures at a distance!KSLC area, looking towards the west, second pic --- FS2002/Dreamfleet CardinalL.Adamson

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As I get older everything gets blurrier anyway :-lol Then again, it was very refreshing to load up the x-plane demo and to have better frame rates and no blurries at all.

L.Adamson, The problem is, near the aircraft, you will see alot of blur in the screenshots forum. CFS3 same problem, stop protecting this MAJOR problem. Many simmers get blur after while below the aircraft.Eric

I always appreciate it when people take the time and effort to post real world versus simulator views; I find them really interesting.I have to say though that I find this comparison rather classic. What I see in the second shot that compares very well with the first is a very realistic aircraft wing.But when comparing the real world scenery to the simulator's, you've pointed to some distant point and labelled it as blurry. I realize you're trying to make a point here and there's been lots of discussion about that issue, but when I compare those two scenes I see dramatic differences that are vastly more relevant than whether some small and distant patch in the real-world view can be labelled as blurry. I see a much darker view in the simulated world, a lack of grass-green textures, and mountain textures that don't mimic the dull brown ruggedness of the originals very well at all. I would think these things are eminently fixable in FS 2004, but if I was looking at that simulated view in isolation my guess would be that it was modelling some other completely different geographic location.

Larry, the problem with dynamic blurred textures is this: as you fly along FS fails to properly update the mip map resolutions, so as a result the textures directly below the plane are blurred (quite a few official CFS3 screenshots show this too, by the way). I have no problem with blurred textures in the far distance, as in your shots. But what I *do* have a problem with is sometimes totally blurred textures immediately surrounding the aircraft if I go mad and fly at more than 50 knots. Fly at a couple of thousand knots and I suspect you'll find yourself surrounded by blurred textures! In contrast FS2000 can maintain full resolution at many thousands of knots (the constant redrawing that FS2000 suffered from was nothing to do with the mip map resolution). Best regards, Chris

>As I get older everything gets blurrier anyway :-lol Then >again, it was very refreshing to load up the x-plane demo >and to have better frame rates and no blurries at all. I run X-Plane too! Nice glossy mountain textures that can look photo-real, but they are all repeating----------- and repeat alot!! Gain an advantage & lose an advantage.L.Adamson

> The problem is, near the aircraft, you will see >alot of blur in the screenshots forum. CFS3 same problem, >stop protecting this MAJOR problem. Many simmers get blur >after while below the aircraft. > ;(8 ;(8 ;(8 L.Adamson

Eric,what you mean is a different kind of blurring - it is known as "dynamic" or "progressive" blurring.This occurs, when your system simply can't manage your settings. Most people who had this "dynamic" blurries problem, were able to solve it via options/settings/display respectively Options/sttings/ATC or via the grpaphic card settings.Of yourse, if you do not want to compromise or if you are not willing to accept a decrease of what theoretically would be possible with a perfect state of the art system, then there will be no help for your problem.Wolfgang

>Posted these as a reply at Flightsim.com. But they do once >again demonstrate that "real life" has blurry textures at a >distance! >>KSLC area, looking towards the west, second pic --- >FS2002/Dreamfleet Cardinal >>L.Adamson Larry,Your first picture looks like a sim, the original TS2 textures come to mind, and the second looks real! The underwing texture of the Cardinal looks great, very real looking.

I snapped this right over KSLC almost 2 years ago during one of our famous winter temperature inversions. Even though KSLC looks like wide open VFR from above, ground visibility at the time was about 2 miles and ILS approaches were in use. You can really see the difference between vertical and horizontal visibility by looking out toward the horizon - the horizon ain't there due to the fog! This effect has caused more than a few bent airplanes by VFR pilots that aren't aware of how this works. You are on short final with the runway clearly in sight, then shortly before touchdown the ground disappears because of the fog layer.Dan

IMHO, the shots simply do not compare... The problem with the first shot is a very low visibility caused by the haze, whereas the second shot is almost unlimited vis. by comparison...Having said that, I do agree that FS2002 is sharper than real life.... I took a trip to California last week. Almost unlimited visibility, but "patches" of ground were obscured by haze and/or a thin ground fog (as we approached the California coast). In all my "real life" flights, which number in the thousands, I've yet to fly anywhere where the visibility was consistent, all the way to the horizon. Drifting smoke, inversions, local humidity have always added patches of blurriness.I've learned something recently about dynamic blurriness... The larger the combined texture size of the aircraft, the more dynamic blurriness. I think it important to consider overall texture load when trying to troubleshoot the dynamic blurries. I spent hours tweaking FS2002....not for maximum sharpness, but for maximum realisim. I played with LOD and anisotropy settings until I found something which mirrored most of the flights I've been on. And I've been quite happy with the results. Below is a link to some shots which meet that requirement for me... And the MU-2 in the shots is cruising at well over 50kts.... At FL200, it's cruising right around 290-295 kts... http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47-John

My anisotropy is at the highest level a GeForce 2 supports... My LOD is -.5...FS settings...untweaked FS2002.cfg, and unlimited vis. in the flights shown... Also, whenever I cruise in the flight levels, I disable Autogen (I rarely use it unless I'm fooling around in an ultralight)..My fps lock is at 25. Higher than that, and dynamic blurries begin to crop up... It's a good compromise setting....achievable in most places with my rig (P3-800), and fast enough to provide wonderful fluidity in flight...-John

Err... real life shouldn't be blurry, unless you need new glasses.FS shouldnt be blurry either if you have a newer video card (with the features on the Radeon 9700 you can kill blurries). Antisotropic filtering really helps.

"Err... real life shouldn't be blurry, unless you need new glasses."What the heck is that supposed to mean? How often do you fly in real life? I fly quite often, but I guess I must pick the wrong flights, and at times I can fly 2-3 times a week. It is very rare that the view is crystal clear & sharp. In the desert southwest we come close, but as one gazes into the distance, atmospheric conditions blur the ground to the same extent, if not more, than we see in FS2002.FS2002 can look artificially clear when LOD and anisotropy are set to an extreme. And before we introduce the Radeon vs. Nvidia debate, folks like L. Adamson and myself get along just fine with our Nvidia based systems. You can make the textures very sharp, or make them more "true to life". You are right--anisotropy can make an incredible difference. With it, I can take LOD way down with little or no shimmering. But then the world looks artificially crisp, IMHO.These links from airliners.net show some typical out the window views... I think they serve as good examples of how the blurry issue in FS2002 can spin out of context vs. real life...http://www.airliners.net/open.file/284732/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/282954/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/281949/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/288492/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/244364/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/192167/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/049610/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/082472/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/117415/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/230773/M/http://www.airliners.net/open.file/256288/M/These are all shots taken from 737's in most aspects of flight. The last two shots over Seattle are about as clear as I've ever seen, including over the desert SW, but you can clearly see the way the ground clarity mutes as one looks 15-20 miles out.... Even the Vegas shot (third from last) is a bit hazy when compared with FS2002...Anyway, I hope folks enjoy the shots!

I flew on a 737 bout a month ago and didn't notice the ground being really blurry, or suddenly turning sharp when the textures loaded :D.You can tell that blurries in FS2002 aren't a 'feature' MS planted in the game. The fact that they dissapear on higher graphics settings prove that.

"I flew on a 737 bout a month ago and didn't notice the ground being really blurry, or suddenly turning sharp when the textures loaded"Lucky you!!!! I must have offended the visibility Gods, and I'm cursed to see something akin to the airliners.net links forever :) An example: when I went on my most recent flight last week, we'd fly for five minutes, and the ground would be fairly clear. Five minutes later, haze.... Then the ground would clear up a bit in areas. Not a cloud in the sky. Typical pattern throughout the flight, and throughout most of my flights. I'm not suggesting MS "simulated" this, but by accident they managed to duplicate what is fairly typical on a flight of almost any duration. The haze changes dynamically, based on so many different factors it's not worth listing them. The dynamic blurries are undoubtedly an issue but I don't stress over them that much, as texture sharpness still exceeds what I consider the "average" after well over a thousand real flights in my lifetime. I've never had that "perfect" real flight visibility wise that we hold FS2002 to.... Haze commonly obscures the ground in flight. Of course, all those pics I linked to at airliners.net may simply be an MS consipiracy to make us "think" the ground isn't so clear, one that I am part of :)And further, the dynamic blurries can be minimized by choosing an fps lock appropriate for the cpu and the FS settings. I stress "and the FS settings" because I've had success with a high fps lock with moderate display settings, given my slower cpu. If I crank up the settings, my lock has to go down.

Folks, while it's a hopeful though that M$ purposely introduced blurries in FS2k2, I doubt this is the case. I think the issue deals with video cards, drivers, codeing, and DirectX. Computer speed is also another major factor, as can be seen in the screenshots forum for users with lower end systems.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com|Taxiwaysigns.com] Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 41.03 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click [link:ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=&Author=Ryan+Fretwell&CatID=Root]Here to Download my New American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

And here I thought you were just trying to be funny. I obviously have a very twisted sense of humor :-lol

Too right Larry. More than 1 hour flying in x-plane is enough to put me off my lime flavoured Aeroplane Jelly desert. As I just posted in the x-plane forum - just imagine a sim that combines the very best features of both x-plane and MSFS. And now that my x-plane CD has arrived, I can look forward to thousands more miles of those green things.