Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Wing views?! Wing Views?!

What in the world is going on here! I know a 330 is now being worked on and discussion is to whether include a VC or wing views. What am I going to do with wing views. Im into Flightsim to fly from up front! The views are better from there any who. Developers would much rather include wings views as they are much easier than building a Virtual Cockpit, but please, wing views? What is the big deal lately with wing views?Cas

"Im into Flightsim to fly from up front!" Who gives a hoot why you fly flightsim? :) Flightsim is an entertainment title. Entertain yourself the way you'd like, and allow those who enjoy views from other perspectives their entertainment.Seriously, this argument comes up often, and is the most misargued subject in simming, it seems. Nothing about wing views excludes a virtual cockpit. Simubuild's A340 has both. So does the MU-2. So does the Flight1 421C, the Baron, and the Dreamfleet Cardinal. "Pilots" argue that they are into FS2002 for the experience up front--they don't want a wing view cluttering up their field. Then don't look at it! Even Ariane's 737, which heavily hyped wing views, had the eyepoint configured from the pilot's perspective. It is up to the user to change the eyepoint to the wing view perspective.Are these arguments really about wing views, or are they about "I'm a pilot (or wannabe pilot) and I'm here to strut my stuff"?-JohnIn favor of VC's AND Wing Views. To each his own!

Guest Toni Rauch

It all seemed to start when Ariane made such a big deal out of their 'looking out over the wings and seeing the flaps move...' etc. Basically, marketing hype to try and sell the planes with standard GMAX animations thrown in.Useless for pilots, possibly interesting for passengers, and easy money for P.T.Given a choice, I'd vote for the V.C. every time but people seem to like looking at the wings.....:-hmmm Toni.

Guest GabrielR

Yes, I agree, I prefer a VC.Wait a minute...Wing views.... That would be the main feature of the new Simulator platform of Microsoft...MSPS2004: MS Passenger Simulator 2004...As unconfortable as it gets!Virtual Bathrooms, state of the art dinner tables with reflective forks and knives, Fully animated AI traveling partner, there would be even a virtual crappy dinner on non first class seats!! Oh, god, I think I have to much free time now...Please post your wish list for MSPS2004!!

Guest Coneman

I'm beginning to think this is a waste of breath John. People are going to believe what they want to believe regardless of the facts.Todd

Guest Milio_B

You want to get as real as it gets? Fine, then NEVER use spot viw, in fact we can get rid of a/c models, they're useless if you want to try to be as real as it gets.Or....maybe you can just try to live with the fact that Wing Views are enjoyed by a big part of the communtiy, and as John said earlier, you're not forced to look at it. some planes include Wing Views rather than a VC because they're so much easier for the developper to make. And I prefer that to nothing!Just my two cents.

Guest GabrielR

Don't forget the SDK for Seat and carpet textures!!

I agree Todd, but nothing makes me more incensed than people coming in here and basing their opinions on a fallacy--namely that wing views exclude virtual cockpits. Just because one aircraft designer makes such a comment doesn't make it so. What it means, is the designer doesn't know how to create the model with both. Neither do I, but I've seen the results I mention in my response to Cas's thread. But I'm going to drop out of the thread, because what this really is about is the 'ol "you guys who want wing views aren't serious pilots" b.s.... BTW, my license agreement in my next release of Landclass Assistant will restrict use to people without pilot's licenses. I don't want to offend some "serious" simmer, as landclass is obviously faked scenery. Got to keep the cockpit experience real! :)

What?I ask a simple question looking for personal preferences and and I get an ear full of speculation or misinterpretion of what I wrote? Please John lighten up.Cas

I'm not one for wing views: I'd rather be flying from the cockpit :D. It's damn difficult taxiing a plane when you're halfway down the cabin :-lol.

Hi,The Wing view fever certainly not started with Ariane and it is neither a fancy for commercial products nor an invention of them.There were already wing views on some FS98 models with dynamic flaps and slats. And they were certainly not on payware products. If my memories do not play me tricks, Mevin Rafi, Sandro Bernardini and Camil Valiquette early FS98 or even FS2000 models had those features.They were later abandoned to save FPS due to very bad FPS in FS2000. Greetings Minos

#1 When flying high it's a nice view, you can see next to nothing looking from cockpit.#2 Yes they are sure easier to make, so if you have an aircraft with wing view means author (designer) wanna to make it there, because he didn't feel like to make a Vcockpit... so what..? maybe he didn't know how, whatever the reason.... so he added wing-view. All the power to him/her.3# If the author doesn't make a wing view becuase someone sais they are stupid... then sure he isn't gonna make a vcockpit cuz it was too hard for him/her. and then you loose both.. and got nothing at all.#4 I like to replay my take off and landings and look at it from the passanger perspective, sure so do many other people for sure.Cas I think you little off by saying that wingviews are useless...I could say FlightMAX is useless... but it's not, however it is to me so I don't want and I didn't buy it. or like saying why did soemone paint the aircraft in UnitedAirlines colors...""What is the big deal lately with "UnitedAirlines" ?""but there are people who like them and enjoy them :-)As for Ariane, PapaTango... well I would never buy their product just because of the opinion they have from many, and the CEO isn't a very nice person either! Not to use mean words.Have a good one.Andy

I never said Wing views are uselessI just love how people put words in my mouth! What a crock this place is. Community my ___