Sign in to follow this  
kevinc5

Upgrade 2.66 to 3.06?

Does it make any sense to upgrade a 533mhz 2.66 to a 533mhz 3.06? I've already upgraded to an FX 5900, non-ultra and 1GB RAM. I'm still looking for increased performance with FS9, and with the recent decrease in chip prices it looks like an attractive upgrade, especially if I recover part of the cost by putting the old chip on e-bay.Thanks

Hey,I was fortunate enough over the weekend to be building a computer for a friend and took the liberty to do some flightsim tests with his 2.8 800 MHZ system... funny thing is my 533 2.4b running at 2.9 was outperforming his system running at 3.2 (by almost 5 frames on avg)I also tried a small test to see how much advantage I am gaining by overclocking... compared to running at 2.4 to 2.9 its only worth 3 frames on my machine...To me this version is videocard hungry in comparison to previous versions... I recently upgraded from a 4200Ti to a 9800 Pro and more than doubled my performance (with identical AA and AF settings)I don't think a CPU is worth it unless you are doing a HUGE upgrade... I thought 500mhz would be worth more than 3 fps!Chris

My upgrade plan must have been a brief brain fa-rt. There really doesn't seem that there is much to be gained by that small an increment in processor power. I think I'll just wait for the next round of significant chip upgrades and think about a building a box at that time.Thanks

I'm holding off as well.. I got the same idea, push a 3.06 to 3.4 or 3.5 but once I saw the gain I was getting, I'll keep the cash in the pocket!

Guest sb55mv

hey Chris,I want to know where you live, ''keeping the cash in my pocket'', I want you to show me how to do that please, since I got into this FS thing I just don't seem to be able to do that, so a few lesons from you would be nice, LMAO.cheersSteve,

Hahaha I'm a pilot in real life, so I *HAVE* to keep the cash in my pockets!! Great job, put the pay stinks!! (Air Taxi on Navajo and Aztec)I wouldn't give it up for the world though!!