Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

A quirk I've noticed with ActiveSky.....

I've been using ActiveSky 1.5 for the last few flights and have noticed something wierd. It seems that there is an issue with the altimeter settings. An example is the last flight I did. The pressure was about 30.25. When at cruise, ATC was cancelling every other flight because they were 300' below their assigned altitude. If I set my altimeter back to 29.92, I would also have been 300' below my cruise altitude. It seems as if there is some glitch when using this program and other aircraft not using the correct altimeter setting. This happens when they are above FL180 as well so I'm not sure how all this relates. Also, I've noticed when I start a flight using Active Sky, the reported altimter setting is initially 29.92 and then a few minutes later it will change to the actual setting. Almost a delayed reaction of sorts. I'm assunming this may tie in with the other problem somehow. Anyone else have any insight to this?? Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,I may be wrong, but I think this is an FS2002 issue. When the baro pressure is very high or low compared to average 29.92, you get these ATC problems. You can confirm this by not using ActiveSky and setting pressure to 30.25 with FS. Something can be done... like an option for max/min baro variation from standard (i.e. .20 inches). I will put this on the list! Thanks for your post...The second issue has to do with FSUIPC's baro smoothing (it's in the MISC options). It is recommended to smooth to prevent sudden altimeter jumps when transiting METAR reports/areas. You can speed up or slow down the delay according to your preference.Damian ClarkDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activeskyhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky//images/wxre-banner.jpg

You may have changed weather station locations where one reported a very low pressure and the next reported a very high pressure. This happened to me and the aircraft was correcting but not fast enough for ATC, so I manually flew the aircraft to the correct altitude at a higher vertical rate.