Sign in to follow this  
Guest CHRISH

Changing Video Cards Nvidia 6800 Ultra FS2002

Guest CHRISH

I am looking to upgrade my Nvidia Geforce 4600 Ti, which all though is super, I am looking to improve the image quality and get rid of those annoying Jaggies and those broken flashing taxi lines. I am quite happy with my Frame rates, which in FS2002 are consistently over 45 FPS. I am concerned because I saw Fs2002 being played a couple of months ago on an Nvida 5950 FX video card, and the jaggies were still there !!Will the Geforce 6800 manage to eradicate them ?Best Wishes and grateful thanks,ChrisAMD 3400 Ti 4600 Vieo card

Guest aigean

jaggies are resolved by turning on anti-aliasing and/or running the sim at a higher resolution. run the sim in full screen mode and set the AA on in your gfx card control panel. your current card should be able to do that.

Guest CHRISH

Many Thanks Tried that some time ago to little avail. Best resolution for refresh rates are 1024 x 768, but the jaggies are not good. I was just wondering whether it will be better on the new 6800 Ultra?Best Wishes,Chris

Guest aigean

>>>Best resolution for refresh rates are 1024 x 768any refresh rate over 60mhz should be fine. higher is not neccessarily better if all you are doing is simming. i dont see why refresh rate is so important here...if you cant figure out how to configure your card and drivers to get rid of jaggies, a new video card isnt going to help.raise your resolution to 1280x1024. use the nvidia control panel to turn on AA. run the sim in full screen mode. if you still have bad jaggies, something is not right. you probably are going to need to reinstall drivers. i have a problem getting AA to turn work once. uninstalling drivers and reinstalling them did the trick.

Guest CHRISH

Hi Aegian,MAny thanks done that as well !Some sceneries seem OK like Flytampa KMIA etc, but some like Uk2000 which are very good, but not on jaggies look bad. As I said earlier just woindering if 6800 Ultra will help in reducing jaggies.Best Wishes,Chris

Your old Ti would not be sufficient in giving decent performance with Anti aliasing (AA) enabled. If your interested in ending the Jaggies you have two options ... Increase the resolution with less AA prolly 2X or quincux Use a Lower resolution with more AA 4xQuincux or higherThe 6800 that you are interested in will definately help you to achieve this with smooth playable frames HOWEVER ... if the rest of your system is not up to date or has bottlenecks your essentially wasting your money.. The graphics card is just one of the important components for a good flightsim experience. We need to know the rest of your system specs.hope this Helps Ill also add that if you saw someone using an FX5950 and the sim still had jaggies then they didnt configure the card properly.. Before i got my 9800Pro I had a 5200 (non ultra) .. I managed to eradicate most of my jaggies by using Quincux AA @ 1024x768 .. had frames in the teens but it was bearable.. the potential for the 5950 would at least be running the sim in a higher resolution with the sim locked @ 30fps asi am presently doing with the 9800 pro.But in the end the COMPLETE SYSTEM SPECS is needed

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Guest aigean

why dont you set AA to 8x, resolution to 1280x1024, and post a screen shot of the jaggies that are annoying you so much. it would be easier to see what's going on...

It wouldnt make sense posting a screenshot with 8X AA since no one it going to fly into EGLL with 8X AA and expect to have a decent landing unless you have most of your sliders to the left ..BTW the information i posted above was for fs9 .. i havent used fs2k2 in a looong time but i belive the principle remains in order to get the jaggies out.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Guest aigean

>>>It wouldnt make sense posting a screenshot with 8X AA since no one it going to fly into EGLL with 8X AA and expect to have a decent landing unless you have most of your sliders to the left ..maxis, it doesnt matter if he cant land or if he gets 2fps. i asked for a screenshot at 1280x1024 8x AA. this way we could see if his drivers were doing AA properly. I wrote:>>>jaggies are resolved by turning on anti-aliasing and/or running the sim at a higher resolution. run the sim in full screen mode and set the AA on in your gfx card control panel. your current card should be able to do that. To which CHRISH responded:>>>Many Thanks Tried that some time ago to little avail. he made it sound like he cannot get rid of jaggies no matter what he does, which should not be the case. if his issue then becomes that he like the way it looks, but the fps is too slow, we can recommend that he get a new card. if, however, he still has jaggies, then i'd suggest it's not the card's fault, and that he doesnt have something (drivers) installed or configured correctly. im just trying to get more info from him via a screenshot so we can better help him... make sense now? thanks for making me type all that out and explain it to you Maxis hahaahahaa.

Since your the "thread expert" then you can help him...ugh...

Guest aigean

no need to get bent guy. everything you said i agree with, i just thought a screenshot would help him out and you were confused as to why

Guest CHRISH

Hi All,Just a quick thank you to you all, for your kind replies. I have checked with my friend who has the 5950 FX and he appears to have optimised his settings and is using the 61.77 drivers. His system like mine is a AMD 3400. We are both interested as there doesnt seem to be much difference in image quality between both our systems ! So we are intrigued as to whether there will be any noticeable improvement on the 6800 Ultra, or is this a case of extreme marketing hype again!Best Wishes amd many thanks,Chris

Guest ChkSix

6800GT or Ultra. If you're tight on money, go with the 6800GT which offers equal performance to the Ultra, and can be overclocked to Ultra speeds quite easily. Some people on other forums even had success flashing a 6800GT with the Ultra Bios, however I don't recommend that. Go with either that I mentioned, you won't regret it!By the way, I can play FS9 all the way up to 2048x1536 with 4AA and 8Anio and still get 15-50fps in all conditions, with all sliders maxed.I agree with Maxis that it is also a complete system thing, not just one component. If I were to put my 6800Ultra in my 2.8ghz/512mb FTP server, I wouldn't see the same performance as I do on my main gaming machine.Mike :-waveP4 3.2E @4.00ghz 250FSBDFI Lanparty Pro875B Rev B1gb Corsair XMS PC3500 2-3-3-6 @2.75vNvidia BFG 6800 Ultra OCSB Audigy2 Platinum ExSony CPD-G520 21' MonitorLiquid Cooled GoodnessPics: http://community.webshots.com/user/chksix2002 (NEW Gallery FS9@ 2048x1536!!!)

Hi all & Chris...... Chris, I'm no expert I'm afraid but seem to have similar (but older spec) components as your system so thought my two penny worth might help :-)I have AMD 2700+ with 1 gig of RAM (don't know what type??) I have an nVidia FX5600 card. (I'm afraid I don't know all the technical jargon but hope this spec. gives you an idea.) 17" monitor on 1028 X 748.My point is I run BOTH FS2002 and FS9 regularly...... I have no jaggies at all that I can notice on either system. I set the nVidia Anti-Aliasing to off (it says something like -"Application controlled") I then set Anti aliasing OFF - Yes!! un-tick the boxes on BOTH the simms. I've just loaded both sims to be certain of this - and checked the nVidia thingy on my desk top!!! If I knew how to put a screen shot on here I'd show you an example.Now I don't know why this should be, my frame rates do vary but mostly they are around 25-30 on FS9 (limited to 30) with some stuff at max but not all. The frame rate is considerably higher on the FS2002 (Limited to 35) Mostly maxed sliders.I can tell you that I visited these forums for several days - a week maybe, almost constantly when I updated my system about this time last year. I asked lots of questions and experimented, read lots and lots (learned a huge amount:-) What I'm getting at is that when I first updated the system I was VERY disappointed as the expensive, (to me then) new components APPEARED to give little in the way of improvement. Now it's great!!Hope this gives you some encouragement to sort out your system. It isn't that difficult..... I'm useless with these modern things but as I'm getting too old to fly for real, I wanted to have an escape with "feeling" to the virtual world when I hang up my helmet for good!! Regards Blue PS. I managed to upload a picture - I don't have many - it looks worse here on the reproduction than the screenshot I have on file - and THAT looks a bit blurred to how it appears on screen.

Guest CHRISH

hi there Many thanks will try this.Best WisheChris