Sign in to follow this  
Gnominator

GeForce 7900GT - only 13 FPS???

I am running a Gainward GeForce GS 7900GT together with a Pentium D 805 (2.6 Ghz) and all I get from a fresh installation of FS2004 is 13 FPS??? With reduced texture sizes it rises to 17 FPS. And I didn't even selecta any AA or AF...What the heck is going on? Any suggestions?P.S.: I also installed the latest ForceWare Drivers. No change. Even with traffic reduced to 0... Biggest impact comes from scenery density.I got more FPS with the same settings on my old setup (Athlon XP 2000+ with ATI 9600 XT). Strange...

Guest wayupthere

13 is not alot indeed, that said in fs you get most of the frames from you your cpu. have you installed the cpu driver? and all mobo drivers?

I had a SLOWER CPU and a SLOWER GPU in my old setup and got more frames. I guess the main problem might just be the mainboard, which I will replace with another one (SLI capable with nForce Chipset).

Guest wayupthere

no need to shout and put CAPS.. just trying to give advice..

I think he was just using caps as emphasis - normally, caps-shouting is really only considered shouting when AN ENTIRE SEGMENT OF A SENTANCE IS IN CAPS! ..sort of like that. :)Indeed the low FPS is strange... I have heard of problems with residual information from ATI drivers effecting how nVidia drivers perform. Did you do a full Windows reinstallation, or did you only reinstall MSFS?Search the 'net for some ATI driver cleaners - make darn sure that no vestages of the old drivers are on your computer, then you may want to uninstall and reinstall your nVidia drivers for good measure.Good luck!-Greg

Hi everyone,Indeed I had no intention to shout. I just wanted to emphasize those two facts.Meanwhile I upgraded my motherboard (it is now a MSI P4N with nForce 4 chipset, which increased the performance a little - about 3 fps).Strange enough the GPU core temp is at 82 degrees celsius when idle, which seems to be quite a lot and the graphic card is creating quite some strange artifacts (small black dots here and there).In FS2004 the temp reading goes up to 95 degrees celsius.Either the sensor is broken or the cooler. Or maybe I need a bigger case.I also did a complete Windows reinstallation (no drivers whatsoever left therefore). The result is the same.

If the temperature readout on your graphic card is correct something's gotta be wrong with it. Obviously you've checked the fan on it? What about your CPU temperature? Are you overclocking anything?Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

CPU temperature is at 55 when idle and at 70 when in FS. It is not overclocked.The graphics card is overclocked ex factory by Gainward.I guess the high temperatures here in Germany are causing quite some of the heating problems (40 degrees in my room when I come back from home). But the case might also be the problem. It is a midi tower, which does not provide lots of space for the components and therefore might inhibit a proper airflow. A big tower would helb I guess.

I overclock my CPU (AMD64 3200+) by 5% and it runs at 38 - 41C. My 7900GT (factory overclocked) runs at simular temperature and my room temperature is around 35...I leave one side of my pc case open.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Yeah, that temperature on the GPU seems awfully high. Have the computer OFF for a few hours to cool down. Power it on and immediately check the GPU temperature. If it is reading high (>70 or 80), then chances are you have something wrong with the card. It should remain close to ambient air temperature for a few minutes after power up, so long as you don't go jumping into a game.If it does read high, either the temperature is WAY too high (indicating a hardware problem), or the sensor is way off (indicating a smaller, but equally damaging hardware problem) A bad sensor could throttle the GPU slower to produce "less" heat, causing performance to suffer. High temperatures could result in artifacting and other issues...Sounds like either an honest heat problem, or a heat sensor problem.

According to my driver settings, the card is going to throttle back once it reaches 125 degrees. I have not been in the realms beyond 100 degrees yet, therefore it runs at full speed.The cooler on that thing is one of the poorest designs I have ever seen, though. It tries to suck in air from the outside, but it has no outher source of air than perforated slotplate of the graphics card to which it does not have a physical connection with an air tube.Then it blows the heat into the inside of my case and from there it probably does not go anywhere too quickly.I have just one more question:I am running the PMDG 737 in VC mode with gauge refresh rate of 25 fps.I get about 18 fps in Aerosoft Madeira (the only addon I have currently installed) with full default traffic, max. 3D clouds and max visibilty. Is this a good value? Should it be higher?

Guest tcable

I hope that the 125 degrees is F NOT C :)I love Google- just enter "125f to c" no quotes and you get results.125 degrees Celsius = 257 degrees Fahrenheit125 degrees Fahrenheit = 51.6666667 degrees CelsiusWe're supposed to hit 89 (32c) in Boston today, but that's not unusual for Summer here. Europe is another matter. I heard that it was almost 120 degrees in the London Tube!

Well, the extreme summer temperatures are gone and my graphics card has cooled down a bit... to be precise it runs now at 73

Guest lukeharvest

Before anyone starts thinking its a hardware issue i think we should consider the easier options first of all.At first i would reccomment DELETING you fs9.cfg file located inC:Documents And Settings[Your Name]Application DataMicrosoftFS9As soon as you have deleted it start up FS then close it as soon as it loads and go back to the fs9.cfg file and change a few things:Set...TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.800000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.800000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1242456TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40 (change 40 to a higher number ex.400 If the card you have is a 256 put it to 200 if its a 512 put it to 400)Enable T&L (transform and lighting) This is in your display settings under FSPAN_RATE=400 Change the "400" to a higher number "900" for exampleOnce you have tried all this let us know what FPS you get...Luke Harvest