Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geoffco

PCI-E Graphics Card Memory vs. Installed RAM

Just a quick question since I'm still not in the PCI-E era myself but am now planning a new system (probably not really buying it for a few months though :))If I got myself a new GFX card with 1GB GDDRx memory (or even 2GB!) but had only 2GB of system RAM (I'm still going to be running XP), would I end up with problems because I heard that the PCI-E card takes over a block of system memory equivalent to it's onboard GFX memory size... Or have I missed the point?Geoff

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>Just a quick question since I'm still not in the PCI-E era>myself but am now planning a new system (probably not really>buying it for a few months though :))>If I got myself a new GFX card with 1GB GDDRx memory (or even>2GB!) but had only 2GB of system RAM (I'm still going to be>running XP), would I end up with problems because I heard that>the PCI-E card takes over a block of system memory equivalent>to it's onboard GFX memory size... Or have I missed the>point?>>GeoffA 1GB video card on 32-bit Windows (XP or Vista 32) is a real problem. The OS maps all the video memory into its own limited address space.For Win 32, no more than 512MB is my recommendation. RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO