Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geoffco

HD4870 X2 on nForce Motherboard - technical question

*This is a double post - I've never understood why there are two hardware forums here...Hey folks,I am about to buy a new PC, in bits (one week to payday - woohoo!) I've been waiting/saving to do this for a really long time so I'm really going for it ;)I already have some lovely PC3-16000 memory (Patriot Viper 2x2Gb 2000Mhz) for some overclocking fun but to run this at full pace, it seems I need an n790i chipset mobo... At least I have yet to find a review where they got DDR3 to 2000Mhz on any other chipset (I've seen 1980MHz but it was a bit ropey).I quite fancied the ASUS Rampage Extreme with which I could use an ATI HD4870 X2 card which I wanted to get but I am worried about the memory not clocking properly. So, I could get a ASUS Striker II Extreme board but I can't find any info about running this GFX card on an n790i board... does it have issues I wonder?Does anyone have any info or experience on this?What would be the best nVidia graphics alternative?Currently I'm swaying towards getting the Rampage Extreme / 4870 X2 and then trying and run the memory a little slower but with tighter timings... still not sure though...GeoffPS. The rest of the setup will be: E8600 (will overclock it of course and may upgrade to a QX but not until I save more cash), Enermax 1kW PSU, 2xWD Velociraptor and Thermaltake watercooling...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

*This is a double post - I've never understood why there are two hardware forums here...Hey folks,I am about to buy a new PC, in bits (one week to payday - woohoo!) I've been waiting/saving to do this for a really long time so I'm really going for it ;)I already have some lovely PC3-16000 memory (Patriot Viper 2x2Gb 2000Mhz) for some overclocking fun but to run this at full pace, it seems I need an n790i chipset mobo... At least I have yet to find a review where they got DDR3 to 2000Mhz on any other chipset (I've seen 1980MHz but it was a bit ropey).I quite fancied the ASUS Rampage Extreme with which I could use an ATI HD4870 X2 card which I wanted to get but I am worried about the memory not clocking properly. So, I could get a ASUS Striker II Extreme board but I can't find any info about running this GFX card on an n790i board... does it have issues I wonder?Does anyone have any info or experience on this?What would be the best nVidia graphics alternative?Currently I'm swaying towards getting the Rampage Extreme / 4870 X2 and then trying and run the memory a little slower but with tighter timings... still not sure though...GeoffPS. The rest of the setup will be: E8600 (will overclock it of course and may upgrade to a QX but not until I save more cash), Enermax 1kW PSU, 2xWD Velociraptor and Thermaltake watercooling...
I would think you would be ok. N-force can run one ATi cards and Crossfire can run one nVidia. The 4870x2 has 2 GPU and the Crossfire architecture running on 1 pcb, using one PCI-e slot. To the system it is one card. I have the 3870x2 and run fine on my board, Asus x38 chipset (yes it is Crossfire, it gave me the option of adding a second card later) but it also works fine on my son's system which has an n-Force chipset in it.Good luckKevin